• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More info on Scott Fitterer

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Got Chris Carson out of it, but using that first round pick on Malik McDowell...yikes!

This is why I try to be careful about looking at drafts though. The guys in the room are part of the process, but they're not the ones making the final choices.

how much blame they deserve for mistakes, and also how much credit they deserve for successes, is something you have to temper.

That is true.

It's fun to speculate but, well, we will see eventually if he can bring success to the team.

8 minutes ago, Basbear said:

One thing I saw, every year they spent a pick at RB.... too bad with CMC thats out of the question. Its almost like some teams dont value the RB spot.....

7 out the last 8 years, they spent at least one pick at RB(mainly late rounders). Two years they spent at least 2 picks on RB in the same draft. 

That could also be because that's been kind of a weak spot for them for a few years.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

That could also be because that's been kind of a weak spot for them for a few years.

You mention Carson, hes a Derrick Henry type. Seen him bully defenders on the reg, just health is a issue... like for most RBs. They also had around 10+ picks in most drafts too. I prefer 3 cheap players with 4 years of control. 3 mill in cap space for three players, rather than one 16 million at a weak spot. 

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

You mention Carson, hes a Derrick Henry type. Seen him bully defenders on the reg, just health is a issue... like for most RBs. They also had around 10+ picks in most drafts too. I prefer 3 cheap players with 4 years of control. 3 mill in cap space for three players, rather than one 16 million at a weak spot. 

Since all indications are we're going to be continuing to run Joe Brady's WCO based system, a big back wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

Some of the more effective West Coast attacks have had one speedy back who's a good receiver (like McCaffrey) and one bruiser for short yardage / goal line situations.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

A little more from David Newton...

So apparently, we have two people to thank for Scott Fitterer getting an interview. One of them is Jim Nagy who made a call to someone in the Panthers front office to suggest it. The other is, surprisingly, the guy he called.

Pat Stewart.

Why is that surprising? Because Stewart was a candidate for the job himself. In suggesting another interview, Stewart was potentially doing damage to his own chances.

But he did it anyway...

The Panthers were double-digit interviews into their general manager search when Nagy reached out to good friend Patrick Stewart, Carolina’s director of player personnel, and suggested Fitterer.

A virtual interview was conducted two Sundays ago, followed by an in-person interview three days later. Fitterer was hired the next day.

“I told Pat, ‘Fit’s a great guy. I’m sure you don’t know him well, but he’ll be a great fit,’" Nagy said. “That’s a great group moving forward on the football side.’’

Scott Fitterer has the risk taking mentality needed to improve the Panthers

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's true, but I have to say I really hope that in future drafts, we're not higher than them in the draft order.

There's more than one round in the draft and no rule stating trades are limited to within a round. The best case scenario is for the Panthers to be at the end of the first and the WFT trading up from the beginning of the first.

Edited by Moo Daeng