• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL execs: it’s going to take 3 first rounders at least for DeShaun Watson.

40 minutes ago, Mage said:

If you are rolling with the idea that we are drafting a QB in the 1st round this year anyway, then really its only 2 1st round picks and a rookie contract we're trading away.  That is definitely a fair deal for Deshaun Watson, even for a team rebuilding.

I was thinking this same thing.

We’d also be upgrading over any QB we’re likely to get in the draft.

Also, what’s the chance we hit on a franchise QB this year?

Pretty low right? 

So we’re prob going to be drafting another QB in the first in another year or two. 

We might trade away a 1st to trade up this year or in the future.

All in all, we’re likely going to spend two - three first round picks over the next 5-6 years trying to get that QB anyway.

It’s not a bad deal really.

Edited by Tbe

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I was thinking this same thing.

We’d also be upgrading over any QB we’re likely to get in the draft.

Also, what’s the chance we hit on a franchise QB this year?

Pretty low right? 

So we’re prob going to be drafting another QB in the first in another year or two. 

We might trade away a 1st to trade up this year or in the future.

All in all, we’re likely going to spend two - three first round picks over the next 5-6 years trying to get that QB anyway.

It’s not a bad deal really.

but if we spend 3 1st round picks to find a rookie QB we save around $100m over the life of that rookie contract.

Great QB on a rookie deal > than a great QB on their second deal

The QB on the second deal is just usually a safer pick because you know what he can do.

Every scenario we can come up with is a gamble, the greatest reward though, is finding a franchise QB in the draft.

For those worried about the rebuild, I would assume everyone wants to stay at 8 then for a QB?  Because if you support the trade up to #3, based on what the Eagles gave up for Wentz as a barometer...

• 2016 #13 pick, 2016 3rd rounder, 2016 4th rounder, 2017 1st rounder, 2018 2nd rounder, 2 players. 

The above, is essentially 3 1st round picks if not more.  For Carson Wentz.  

5 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

For those worried about the rebuild, I would assume everyone wants to stay at 8 then for a QB?  Because if you support the trade up to #3, based on what the Eagles gave up for Wentz as a barometer...

• 2016 #13 pick, 2016 3rd rounder, 2016 4th rounder, 2017 1st rounder, 2018 2nd rounder, 2 players. 

The above, is essentially 3 1st round picks if not more.  For Carson Wentz.  

And they won the Super Bowl, two years later (2018) with Wentz injured and on the bench.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I definitely don't see us as just a quarterback and a couple of good players away.

We spent years complaining because despite the fact we had Cam Newton, he didn't have a good enough team around him. I'm not a fan of seeing us go back into that position.

(and I don't really think Watson would be either)

The difference between winning and losing in the NFL razor thin.  If we averaged 5 points more a game, or allowed 5 less, or some combination thereof, we would be in the playoffs this year.  Add a few players in some key positions, and we could be significantly better next year.   Or we could be worse.  But personally I think with a guy like Watson, we would be significantly better.  

Not that I think he will come here, he won't.  

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

The difference between winning and losing in the NFL razor thin.  If we averaged 5 points more a game, or allowed 5 less, or some combination thereof, we would be in the playoffs this year.  Add a few players in some key positions, and we could be significantly better next year.   Or we could be worse.  But personally I think with a guy like Watson, we would be significantly better.  

Not that I think he will come here, he won't.  

Fitterer's comments today framed things in the long term, indicating that we'd try to be competitive right now but the wins are probably down the road.

I suppose a big splashy move is still possible, but I'm not expecting it.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

If we don't get Watson we should really be hoping that the Jets do.  One less team to draft a QB in front of us.

Best case for us Jets get Watson, Miami decides to give Tua one more year.

The jets might not even go QB, what is it you think the Texans are gonna draft if they get in at 2 or 3

the best scenario for us is that everybody stays right where they are

Edited by Growl
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Growl said:

The jets might not even go QB, what is it you think the Texans are gonna draft if they get in at 2 or 3

the best scenario for us is that everybody stays right where they are

Doh

They take Darnold in the trade, don't need to draft a QB?  I can't even say it with a straight face.

Damn I hate it when I say something stupid, I don't see how half of this board lives with themselves doing it all the time.

Got ahead of myself trying to be positive.

Ok, Dolphins stick with Tua, Jets or Texans take whoever of Fields/Wilson we like the least?