• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Matt Stafford and the Carolina Panthers

Zod

Do a sign and trade with Samuel.  Detroit gets Samuel as a valuable weapon for whatever QB they draft at #7, we get Stafford, we keep our #8 pick and take Surtain or Sewell, whichever is available.  Win, win, win. Never going to happen but a man can dream...

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Growl said:

No

Draft a QB

This isn't as hard as were all making it

This^

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

Draft a QB if he sucks draft another the next year. 

This again^, but I think you have to give them 2-3 years, QBs take time to develop. 

Draft a guy, put him in a position to be succesffull (good coaching and good teamates) and give him time.  If he doesn't work out you do it again.

Everyone wants to go cheap (draft a guy later) or look for the sure thing (sign a vet), any vet that is easily available is so because he isn't that great.

4 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Stafford > Watson (but lose CMC + two 1st Rnd picks)

jus sayin..

This is how people should look at these different scenarios.  These moves don't happen in a vacuum.

Lets assume you give up a second for Stafford and 3 1st and a player for Watson.

Watson + 2nd or Stafford + three 1st and CMC

Watson or Lance + CMC + three 1st and + $100m in cap space over 5 years (5 year cost difference between the two)

Stafford or Lance +2nd + $38m in cap space over 2 years (2 year difference between the 2)

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

This is how people should look at these different scenarios.  These moves don't happen in a vacuum.

Lets assume you give up a second for Stafford and 3 1st and a player for Watson.

Watson + 2nd or Stafford + three 1st and CMC

Watson or Lance + CMC + three 1st and + $100m in cap space over 5 years (5 year cost difference between the two)

Stafford or Lance +2nd + $38m in cap space over 2 years (2 year difference between the 2)

You are venturing into opportunity cost in evaluating these things, and that is verboten here.  Everything must be evaluated in a vacuum.......it is written in stone somewhere.

I sometimes think Panther fans suffer a variation of Stockholm Syndrome from the prior regime.

• Pie 1

What is with this owner's obsession with bringing in these NFC North losers?  Teddy was a loser in Minny as a starter, and he's a loser here.  Stafford is a closer with the Lions, manages to snatch defeat from jaws of victory and miss the playoffs, and would be an overpaid loser here.

Make Watson happen no matter the cost.  There is no alternative

I'd rather find the long term solution to our problem than keep stringing "bridge" QB's through the organization.  Make no mistake, that's all Stafford would be.  YES.  He would make us better.  But when you really need a long term solution at QB, that's actually NOT a good thing.

This draft class currently has the appearance of a VERY strong class at QB.  We have a relatively high pick.  Get a QB.  Let TB5 do his thing until the staff feels like our guy is ready than throw him in.  If he fails, try again.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not that big a fan of Stafford, but it is fair to note he wouldn't cost as much to get.

He still might cost too much though. Depends on what the Lions want.

The closest comparison I can find was the Alex Smith trade to the Redskins.  Which cost a 3rd and a player.

The player was Kendall Fuller, a young decent slot corner at the time, so you can guess how to translate that to what that draft compensation would equal.  My guess is a 4th at best because he only had one year in the league at the time and was drafted as a 3rd round pick.

Edited by Untouchable