• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Matt Stafford and the Carolina Panthers

Zod

Let it be known that Deshaun Watson is my first, second, and third pick for a veteran QB. 

Another QB has been brought into the mix, Matt Stafford of the Detroit Lions. 

Here is a breakdown of Stafford's stats. 

stafford.jpg

Positives

Good arm, can drive the ball down the field. 

Has maintained a very good QR rating despite playing for a bad team. 

Has stayed healthy mostly. 

Negatives

Not especially mobile

32 years old

I think most of us can agree he would be an upgrade over Teddy, but is he the right guy to build a long term championship caliber team with? 

What say ye, oh Huddle of infinite wisdom? 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Stafford is a good QB who has been stuck in a terrible organization.

I would definitely prefer Watson. He's better and he's younger but he's also going to be considerably more expensive on the trade market. Watson's market is speculated to be three #1s or the equivalent. What would Stafford's market be?

Honestly, I'm torn. Not sure whether I'd rather make a deal with Stafford or take a chance in the draft. Really wish I knew where Wilson was likely to go. If we have a realistic shot at Wilson, I'd prefer that. But Wilson may be a pipe dream if we're not willing to trade up. If Detroit is definitely moving on from Stafford, you can pretty safely pencil in a QB to Detroit and they're sitting right in front of us at #7. We could be about to watch another Herbert happen.

• Pie 5

Not a long term solution but could hold the fort until they find the next guy.  It gives you options for a couple of years.  So it's not a terrible choice, unlike the Teddy signing.    But I am just an observer.  I'm just a guy trying to make my way across the universe.

• Pie 8

His playing style could mean he has a Brady/Rivers length career.  So he could have 5 years left in him and he has been better late in his career than in the beginning.  Protect him, and he stays healthy--that is true for all QBs.

Let's say we get 5 years out of him--is it worth it? 

We only got 6 productive years out of Cam.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

His playing style could mean he has a Brady/Rivers length career.  So he could have 5 years left in him and he has been better late in his career than in the beginning.  Protect him, and he stays healthy--that is true for all QBs.

Let's say we get 5 years out of him--is it worth it? 

We only got 6 productive years out of Cam.

Good point. 5 years is a lot of time to draft and groom a QB. 

• Pie 3

Just now, Growl said:

No

Draft a QB

This isn't as hard as were all making it

I really wish just drafting a QB was a safe solution. There are more hits than misses and at #8 we're probably looking at best at the 3rd QB off the board and quite possibly the 4th. We'll need considerable luck for it to fall our way.

• Pie 1

I prefer to draft a QB as well, but how many drafted QBs succeed?  How many teams need a QB and how many quality QBs are in the draft?

Due diligence-- for those who think we should explore all options and have more than 1 plan that could unravel in 4 picks.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really wish just drafting a QB was a safe solution. There are more hits than misses and at #8 we're probably looking at best at the 3rd QB off the board and quite possibly the 4th. We'll need considerable luck for it to fall our way.

Draft a QB if he sucks draft another the next year. 

• Pie 1