• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Matt Stafford and the Carolina Panthers

Zod

I wouldn't mind Stafford a couple of things that stick out to me :

• Much better arm/deep ball placement then Teddy B.
  • Has the "It" factor. He can get you a win. 38 game winning drives since 2009. You can see how that stacks up here : https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_active.htm
  • He is always banged up but he always plays through it. That could be good and bad especially at 32.
  • He has never had a run game to support him. He took that offense on his back a lot ( well the years he didn't have Calvin Johnson ). It seems like he's elevated guys like Marvin Jones and Golladay who were later round picks.

I think he could do really well here. We have the weapons and the system. I don't think the age bothers me as long as you have someone you think can step in if he misses a game or two, but he really hasn't missed many games in his career.

• Beer 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't like spamming picks like the Lions did at WR for years before finally landing Megatron. This is a strong class. There's a very good chance that there will be a very good QB not naked Trevor Lawrence come out of this class. Do our homework and figure out who that is and go get him if we're not going to make a move on Watson or Stafford. That's my take. I just don't like our chances of things falling our way if we sit tight at #8 but we'll see.

I'm with you on spamming picks.  People act like drafting a QB yearly in the first round until you get it right has no costs.  Who would you have picked in the first if you didn't need to continually draft a QB?  While we are busy with that goat rope, the chances of the rest of the roster weakening and gradually aging out increases.

Oh, I know.  We don't need a good rest of the roster, just an elite QB. 

• Pie 1

The final years on Stafford's contract look similar to Teddy's, with the difference being $33M for 2021 rather than $24M. For 2022, both QBs are set to make $26M in their final playing seasons under contract with $5M in dead cap for Teddy and $6M in dead cap for Stafford. Stafford does have a $3M dead cap number in 2023.

Lions have a better salary cap situation than the Texans as well. ($3M under while HOU is $22M over).

Gives the Panthers an upgrade at the position but also makes it harder to sign other talent. I'd rather see Moton's deal inked before making a move on a QB.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

He turns 33 in like 2 and a half weeks so he's even older than the number most here are operating off of... I really do like Stafford, but with his age and inconsistencies I just don't think he makes sense for this team right now at all. Much better than Teddy, but I don't think we're winning a SB with Stafford and then we still have the same problem once Stafford's gone. I much prefer a rookie or if the price is right Watson, but if we somehow got rid of Teddy and picked up Stafford without losing much to get him I'd be okay with the move. I really do want to see this team have a long term plan in place for the QB position. 

stafford has been dealing with a litany of nagging injuries over the past few years, and has the appearance of something taped together just waiting to collapse. even this year I think there were 3-4 games he couldn't finish. There's also a lot of talk he might retire, though I guess playing for the lions can do that to you.

your best bet with him is a 2 year deal. He's aging like KK short. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'm with you on spamming picks.  People act like drafting a QB yearly in the first round until you get it right has no costs.  Who would you have picked in the first if you didn't need to continually draft a QB?  While we are busy with that goat rope, the chances of the rest of the roster weakening and gradually aging out increases.

Oh, I know.  We don't need a good rest of the roster, just an elite QB. 

On the other hand, it is much easier to jettison those bad picks now than it was a little over a decade ago. Arizona was swiftly able to recover from their mistake on Josh Rosen. Washington cut bait from Dwayne Haskins. It hurts but at least you don't have a massive salary to jettison when you fug it up.

7 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

First and second choice would be Watson or drafting a QB in the top ten, but outside of that Stafford would be a solid option that could make this team a playoff contender right away.  I think with Joe Brady calling plays and the skill players on the roster, Stafford could take this team to the next level.

Pretty much my thoughts, though if the price is as high as it should be for Watson I'd prefer taking a shot in the draft before trading a ton for him. Stafford would get this team to the playoffs pretty quickly and I think we'd consistently be in that mix. But would he be enough to get us over the ultimate hurdle of winning a Super Bowl, before he starts declining or retires due to age? That's what I'm not so sure about and the reason I'd much rather try for a longer term option. If we hit on a rookie this year or trade for Watson, the position would be more or less set for 10-15 years maybe. Stafford could start declining at 35, 36, etc. who knows? 

Stafford is great. He got a bad wrap for injuries early in his career, but has been very durable since. He can sling the rock. With a better run team he’s in the playoffs regularly. He can make mistakes sometimes as a gunslinger, which could make it hard for him to win it all. Also, he’s clearly on the back end of his career. I’d be happier with it if we were more loaded (like the 2015 Broncos). Right now I think we’d need more from the rest of the team to get far. I like Watson more because he can put the team on his back if need be.