• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Matt Stafford and the Carolina Panthers

Zod

1 hour ago, Raleigh PF said:

Okay, that's true, but there is no getting rid of Teddy now. His play last year and the size of his contract means he stays with the Panthers. So, while it's not $53M for the QB position, it's still near $40M, which is still too high if your QB1 isn't named Mahomes, Rodgers, etc.

We can get rid of him if they chose to get rid of him. It may not make the most sense on paper but we are still in the rebuilding, so cutting bait might actually make sense if you have no plans on letting him see the field. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I get that. I just dint think he fits what we are trying to do. Build long term winning sustainability. He is at the end of his career and we are entering year 2 of rebuild. I’m wanting to draft a young QB, but Watson being 25 and one of the best is obviously tempting. I just don’t think we should trade away any assets for another rental QB.

I think Stafford could certainly still have plenty left in the tank. I do agree that I would want it to be at the right price.

Matt is pretty ingrained in the Detroit area, much like Newton here, not sure uprooting his family would be in his plans 

it would be the smart move for a team with so many holes 

remember, the Colts are also in the QB market now...dangling a number 8 pick might get a slew of draft picks from them, yes I know they are lower, I’m just pointing out that the Colts might want to trade up with the Panthers or Bengals or Dolphins as well

5 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Matt is pretty ingrained in the Detroit area, much like Newton here, not sure uprooting his family would be in his plans 

it would be the smart move for a team with so many holes 

remember, the Colts are also in the QB market now...dangling a number 8 pick might get a slew of draft picks from them, yes I know they are lower, I’m just pointing out that the Colts might want to trade up with the Panthers or Bengals or Dolphins as well

I think Stafford makes the most sense for Indy with Rivers bowing out.  They aren't far off from a really good team if they keep building.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Raleigh PF said:

Don't think of it as 3 first round picks - it's not.

Think of it this way. The Panthers would use their #8 pick this year on a franchise QB. So, instead of it being Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, etc, change that name to Deshaun Watson. So you've used one of those three picks on the QB. Essentially, the Panthers are giving up TWO future 1st round picks for Watson. 

Now, isn't that easier to swallow?

I absolutely see where you're coming from, but in my opinion: No. We've had a better version of Watson in Cam, with a borderline elite defense and patchwork o line and we were feast or famine for the entire ride. I don't want to do that with/to another QB. If we already had the other pieces in place, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we've got major issues we've still go to deal with, first one being the offensive line. Still, I have a much higher opinion of the guys doing the drafting for the Panthers now, so if they decide to pull the trigger on a trade like that, I'll trust they've done their due diligence and have a plan. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

I absolutely see where you're coming from, but in my opinion: No. We've had a better version of Watson in Cam, with a borderline elite defense and patchwork o line and we were feast or famine for the entire ride. I don't want to do that with/to another QB. If we already had the other pieces in place, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we've got major issues we've still go to deal with, first one being the offensive line. Still, I have a much higher opinion of the guys doing the drafting for the Panthers now, so if they decide to pull the trigger on a trade like that, I'll trust they've done their due diligence and have a plan. 

Waston is better than Cam ever was

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

Waston is better than Cam ever was

He absolutely is. We just don’t want to recreate what is happening in Houston. Watson is playing in his prime, but with little help giving him a worse record than we have. If we give up too much for him, we won’t have enough cap and players to make our team any more competitive than the Texans were this year.

• Beer 1