• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy Predictions for 2021

kungfoodude

Teddy Predictions for 2021  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most likely scenario?

• Teddy is opening day starter for the Carolina Panthers.
    • Teddy is backing up a rookie QB in Carolina.
    • Teddy gets cut by the Panthers before June 1($20 mil dead cap hit in 2021, $5 mil dead cap hit in 2022)
    • Teddy gets cut by the Panthers after June 1 or is designated as a June 1 cut($15 mil dead cap hit in 2021, $5 mil dead cap hit in 2022)
    • Teddy gets traded by the Panthers before June 1($10 mil dead cap hit in 2021, $5 mil dead cap hit in 2022)
    • Teddy gets traded by the Panthers after June 1($5 mil dead cap hit in 2021, $5 mil dead cap hit in 2022)
    • Teddy is backing up a free agent QB the Panthers have signed
    • Teddy is backing up a QB on the current roster.

As much as I want a new, young Qb or Watson, the smart thing to do is to pickup a Matt Stafford and use draft picks to build the team, if the Panthers want to compete right away 

if they don’t, then draft best rookie  qb available to them at 8 and let the pick spot behind Bridgewater 

very ironic as wasn’t it Brady who wanted Bridgewater here...to me if true he is just as suspect as Teddy.  People don’t like to hear that but his evaluation of Teddy was seriously flawed.   

after watching the playoff games, the Panthers are very far off from that circle 

Edited by raleigh-panther

I think we’ll see something similar to the Dolphins. Teddy will eventually be benched. But will start the first game. But my prediction is the team will put the rookie in when we either winning by a lot or when TB has been struggling but we only need a touchdown to score and we put the rookie out there to see what he can do. 

1 minute ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I think we’ll see something similar to the Dolphins. Teddy will eventually be benched. But will start the first game. But my prediction is the team will put the rookie in when we either winning by a lot or when TB has been struggling but we only need a touchdown to score and we put the rookie out there to see what he can do. 

I could see this.

6 hours ago, t96 said:

I don't want this to happen but I suspect that if we do draft a QB (which seems likely) the staff will be under pressure for him to start sooner and after a good camp we'll give up a mid round pick in 2022 for another team to take Teddy's contract off our hands (like the Jets did with him after drafting Darnold).

Huh?  Are you thinking of the Texans/Browns Osweiler trade?  The Jets traded Teddy and a 6th to the Saints for their 3rd.  That wasn't a contract dump; he had a pretty inconsequential contract.

Teddy's contract is not that crippling for us to give up a mid-round pick for someone to take him off our hands.  That would be terrible.

30 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Huh?  Are you thinking of the Texans/Browns Osweiler trade?  The Jets traded Teddy and a 6th to the Saints for their 3rd.  That wasn't a contract dump; he had a pretty inconsequential contract.

Teddy's contract is not that crippling for us to give up a mid-round pick for someone to take him off our hands.  That would be terrible.

Reading that over sorry I didn't make it clear. I was comparing the circumstances surrounding the trade (a rookie QB coming in and winning the job), not the pieces of the trade. Teddy was supposed to start for the Jets that season but Darnold beat him out in camp. Same could happen here with a rookie QB, resulting in us trading Teddy.

31 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Mid round pick would be between 3rd and 5th round. It's a pretty bad contract.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean....it's a pretty bad contract for us if he isn't the starter in 2021. He's our highest paid player and would be by a HUGE margin(almost $10 mil) once we cut KK. 

I'd be willing to trade away a pick to be able to have that cap to roll over to 2022. 

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Mid round pick would be between 3rd and 5th round. It's a pretty bad contract.

I suppose a 5th? We save $10 million by trading him compared to cutting him if we really don't want him on the team. Let's say your 3rd round pick turns into a decent starter. What's the cap savings in being able to get a starter for 4 years for $1 million per year compared to a league average veteran at the position? Let's say it's a starting cornerback. You'd be paying a comparable veteran $8 million per year, easy. Same goes for a position like defensive end, wide receiver, most of the offensive line; all positions where a good GM can usually find a potential starter in the 3rd. So to save $10 million on Teddy's contract, you give up a potential savings of $30 million or more. Obviously the later you pick, the less likely you are to pick a decent starter caliber player, which is why a later round pick might make sense. If we believe in the combination of Rhule and Fitterer, no way am I considering a 3rd, and even a 4th is a tough decision. 5th or lower and I'd be down. Otherwise, you accept the lumps of having a pricy but high end backup and mentor for your rookie, trust in your drafting and cut him in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I suppose a 5th? We save $10 million by trading him compared to cutting him if we really don't want him on the team. Let's say your 3rd round pick turns into a decent starter. What's the cap savings in being able to get a starter for 4 years for $1 million per year compared to a league average veteran at the position? Let's say it's a starting cornerback. You'd be paying a comparable veteran $8 million per year, easy. Same goes for a position like defensive end, wide receiver, most of the offensive line; all positions where a good GM can usually find a potential starter in the 3rd. So to save $10 million on Teddy's contract, you give up a potential savings of $30 million or more. Obviously the later you pick, the less likely you are to pick a decent starter caliber player, which is why a later round pick might make sense. If we believe in the combination of Rhule and Fitterer, no way am I considering a 3rd, and even a 4th is a tough decision. 5th or lower and I'd be down. Otherwise, you accept the lumps of having a pricy but high end backup and mentor for your rookie, trust in your drafting and cut him in 2022.

The problem is the other team would have to pay 17M for him. And no team is going to want to do that.

Edited by Toomers