Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Panthers believe they've found the right fit


Recommended Posts

 

CHARLOTTE – Panthers owner David Tepper can't resist the play on words. He even has a hand gesture to go with it.

Put simply, he thinks new general manager Scott Fitterer is a fit for what he wants to build here.

Tepper laughed as he interlaced his fingers, and talked about what he saw in his new GM, but it's clear after a lengthy process — they interviewed 15 candidates — the former Seahawks executive quickly rose to the top of the pile because of how he meshes with the larger vision Tepper has for the organization.

"Just what I thought he'd bring to the organization and his fit in the organization he came from," Tepper said of what caught his eye when he interviewed Fitterer. "His knowledge base of what he did where he was at. He was a true AGM (assistant general manager). I don't know if he had that title, but that's what he was doing."

And that Seattle structure is going to come up a lot, as Tepper referred to the "flatness of the structure," with the same regard with which Seahawks GM John Schneider said: "That's what we pride ourselves on, having no walls."

View the full article on Panthers.com

  • Pie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This to me is a key paragraph...

"We're going to get after it," Fitterer said. "The wins are going to come. It's not going to be a quick fix, that we're looking for a quick spike. We're going to do this the right way, so we can sustain it, and build it over a period of time, and have a championship-caliber team.

"We're looking to compete right now, and we're going to build from there."

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is I hope they believe they've found the right fit.

"As soon as we got together you could cut the tension with a knife.  Sniping, blaming, insults started being thrown almost immediately.  A few f-bombs.  When he started talking about missed opportunities and my family lineage, I knew we had the right guy."

I'd probably get a lot less of a warm, fuzzy over that. 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also from the article...

(Moments) after he was doing his first round of interviews in his new home Thursday morning, a player Fitterer scouted was having his own press conference.

Fitterer recalled working out a tight end from Texas A&M named Dan Campbell, who was just introduced as the Lions' head coach.

As entertaining as it was, I think I speak for many of us when I say please don't let your presser be anything like that one.

  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TSLA said:

I just hope that Fitterer will do a better job in the draft for us than what Seattle has done recently. 

 I don't care if we've done as poorly as Seattle in the draft if we're making it to the playoffs every year.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This to me is a key paragraph...

"We're going to get after it," Fitterer said. "The wins are going to come. It's not going to be a quick fix, that we're looking for a quick spike. We're going to do this the right way, so we can sustain it, and build it over a period of time, and have a championship-caliber team.

"We're looking to compete right now, and we're going to build from there."

The first part sounds like a winning strategy to right this ship. The last sentence make me think he has already identified a huge place for improvement, like there is one position that would change our competitiveness immediately...

 

 

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Waldo said:

The first part sounds like a winning strategy to right this ship. The last sentence make me think he has already identified a huge place for improvement, like there is one position that would change our competitiveness immediately...

I took the last sentence as saying that we're going to be competitive right now but the big wins are probably coming later.

it fits with what Tepper has said before about it being a long term project to get the team where it needs to be.

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick video intro...

...followed by a seven to eight minute interview with Kristen Balboni.

At no point during the interview does Fitterer reference biting anyone's kneecaps.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

All I can say is I hope they believe they've found the right fit.

"As soon as we got together you could cut the tension with a knife.  Sniping, blaming, insults started being thrown almost immediately.  A few f-bombs.  When he started talking about missed opportunities and my family lineage, I knew we had the right guy."

I'd probably get a lot less of a warm, fuzzy over that. 

Where's that quote?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...