• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Tepper reflects on long-term lessons of "exhaustive" GM search

I think we can all say we hope you did too Dave.  After reading this i am starting to have some hope that finally there may be someone in charge that has a freaking clue on how to build us a winner.  

Folks, I'm starting to have faith.  Hell may be freezing over.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

From the article...

"I can't say every decision that we made in the past, I probably didn't insist on that. Well, that's not happening anymore."

What? 😕

Anyway, some of what he's saying about past decisions makes me wonder if he's now somewhat acknowledging that keeping Marty on was a mistake.

The biggest thing though is that for the first time in a while, we have actual football people in charge.

I'm extremely happy about that.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3

I dare say I am encouraged by what I here from Dave.  I think he made a good choice in Rhule for Head Coach. 

The jury is still out on Brady for me.  But with our QB situation such as it is it's hard to say one way or the other.

Old man Snow impressed me with they way he got his rag tag bunch of misfits to keep the games from getting out of hand.  He used a bunch of unknowns with a handful of solid young draft picks to show the nfl what's up.

Now that the curse of you know who has finally been exorcised from the organization there is hope.  Real hope Panthers fans.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I dare say I am encouraged by what I here from Dave.  I think he made a good choice in Rhule for Head Coach. 

I said it elsewhere, but the way this GM search played out made me feel a lot better about Tepper.

When I saw that he was talking about analytics guys while Matt Rhule wanted a talent evaluator, I cringed. He very well could have pulled rank and just said "we're doing it my way" but he didn't.

He gave Rhule what he wanted, and I think that was the right decision.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I said it elsewhere, but the way this GM search played out made me feel a lot better about Tepper.

When I saw that he was talking about analytics guys while Matt Rhule wanted a talent evaluator, I cringed. He very well could have pulled rank and just said "we're doing it my way" but he didn't.

He gave Rhule what he wanted, and I think that was the right decision.

I think that was a wise decision on his part.  Now let's hope we both are right about that.  I hope Fiterer overhauls the scouting department asap.

Oh! And a QB would be nice also.

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think that was a wise decision on his part.  Now let's hope we both are right about that.  I hope Fiterer overhauls the scouting department asap.

Oh! And a QB would be nice also.

From the article about Fitterer and the quarterback position...

I think the way I want to build the team is one, obviously quarterback, and two, both sides of the line. Really, settling the offensive line, maybe getting another corner, just creating competition at those spots is kind of the view right now."

That's music to my ears.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the article...

"I can't say every decision that we made in the past, I probably didn't insist on that. Well, that's not happening anymore."

What? 😕

Anyway, some of what he's saying about past decisions makes me wonder if he's now somewhat acknowledging that keeping Marty on was a mistake.

You left off the important part...

...here:

""If I've had a successful career away from this sport, well why the heck was I not making the same rigorous decision-making process before," Tepper said Thursday. "I can't say every decision that we made in the past, I probably didn't insist on that. Well, that's not happening anymore."

What he's saying there is early on he made some bad decisions because he deviated from the Appaloosa Model, and he's gonna be 100% sure that doesn't happen going forward.  

Edited by SizzleBuzz
2 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

You left off the important part...

...here:

""If I've had a successful career away from this sport, well why the heck was I not making the same rigorous decision-making process before," Tepper said Thursday. "I can't say every decision that we made in the past, I probably didn't insist on that. Well, that's not happening anymore."

What he's saying there is early on he made some bad decisions because he deviated from the Appaloosa Model, and going forward he's gonna be 100% sure that doesn't happen going forward.  

Ummm...no.

And seriously dude, do you dream about this stuff in your sleep?

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The jury is still out on Brady for me.  But with our QB situation such as it is it's hard to say one way or the other.

Old man Snow impressed me with they way he got his rag tag bunch of misfits to keep the games from getting out of hand.  He used a bunch of unknowns with a handful of solid young draft picks to show the nfl what's up.

Now that the curse of you know who has finally been exorcised from the organization there is hope.  Real hope Panthers fans.

if you pulled me aside in summer of 2017 and said we were going to have a new owner, an offensive minded head coach, and a GM that prevoisly helped build a consistent winner by 2021, i would’ve asked you where you were getting the really good coke from

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
4 hours ago, frash.exe said:

if you pulled me aside in summer of 2017 and said we were going to have a new owner, an offensive minded head coach, and a GM that prevoisly helped build a consistent winner by 2021, i would’ve asked you where you were getting the really good coke from

Sometimes it's best to have a little patience! 

• Beer 1

Honestly, it's like I was trying to tell some of you all along. Tepper had to get his bearings, so it was very understandable why he didn't come in kicking ass and taking names! It was never realistic if you get right down to it, especially for a man who wants to observe, learn and develop strategies for success! Tepper is doing things gradually, and unless you're just damned lucky, that's how you have to do it!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
7 hours ago, top dawg said:

Honestly, it's like I was trying to tell some of you all along. Tepper had to get his bearings, so it was very understandable why he didn't come in kicking ass and taking names! It was never realistic if you get right down to it, especially for a man who wants to observe, learn and develop strategies for success! Tepper is doing things gradually, and unless you're just damned lucky, that's how you have to do it!

Personally I had no problem with how he went about getting to know how his team was being operated before he put his stamp on it.  I actually was hoping that would be how he approached it.  The only thing that left me scratching my head in disbelief was keeping Marty after the purge.  I lost a lot of faith in Tepper that day.

• Pie 2