• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I’ve never seen Panthers.com poop on a starting QB this much, not even Clausen

thunderraiden

3 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Though I'd love it, I don't see how we make a deal more appealing than what the NYJ or MIA can offer him without setting our team back 4-5 seasons with lost assets. 

NYJ: Darnold (25 yr old QB former #3 overall pick), 2021 #2 overall pick, 2021 #23 overall pick

MIA: Tua (23 yr old QB former #5 overall pick), 2021 #3 overall pick, 2021 #18 overall pick ... and, it's South Beach in a state with no income taxes.

CAR: Bridgewater (28 yr old QB) or CMC (former #8 overall pick), 2021 #8 pick

Watson can veto any trade, so I could see that possibly with NYJ, but Miami....come on.  A top-5 NFL QB making $20+million a year and could go be thee premier star in a major metropolis like Miami, why would I go to Carolina over that?

Miami is a Watson QB away from being a perennial AFC contender. Flores is a coach that players want to play for, that team is young and knocking on the door of the playoffs. 

What Houston would ask of us would set us back so far. I'm okay with three years' worth of firsts and Teddy, but after that I think the risk-reward starts to hurt too much. We still have an incomplete OL, no CB1, a dance partner needed for Brown at iDL and three WRs that are within two years of walking.

If we overpay, we are no better than Houston was with Watson.

"Tagovailoa isn’t regarded as a quarterback the Texans will view as an adequate replacement for Watson, according to multiple league sources.” - Aaron Wilson (covers the cover the Texans for the Houston Chronicle).

4 minutes ago, Zod said:

With how they are diminishing teddy through their words they are really backing themselves into a corner. 

They 100% have to have a different answer in 2021 at QB or the fans are gonna revolt. 

I think they originally signed Teddy to avoid being in this situation. Ironically, signing Teddy has actually forced them into this situation.

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

"Tagovailoa isn’t regarded as a quarterback the Texans will view as an adequate replacement for Watson, according to multiple league sources.” - Aaron Wilson (covers the cover the Texans for the Houston Chronicle).

If you're going to have to part ways with Watson, you fanbase is gonna be PISSED. But, if you landed a package of say #8 overall, next year's 1st, and CMC then you turn around and send #8 and next year's 1st plus an additional 2nd or 3rd to Miami for #3 and turn that into say Zach Wilson... I mean, that's about as good as you're going to do and it gets the fanbase excited again.

• Pie 1

I liked how he we would use every avenue to address the QB position.  So many on this board think the only way to address it is through the draft.  While getting a young QB to groom is our preferred direction, all avenues will be used to address it.

Maybe we trade up for a QB, maybe one falls in our lap or maybe we have to take a veteran QB.  I don't know I am just happy that we're not hell bent on the DRAFT ONLY.

• Beer 1

Let me preface by saying we need a change at qb, but think about this- Teddy went 5-0 last year in the NO system, yet was 4-11 in ours. Part of the problem is that we have average play at several positions. Teddy diidnt win or lose any game single-handidly. So, by all means, let's trade away our best players and draft picks.

2 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Let me preface by saying we need a change at qb, but think about this- Teddy went 5-0 last year in the NO system, yet was 4-11 in ours. Part of the problem is that we have average play at several positions. Teddy diidnt win or lose any game single-handidly. So, by all means, let's trade away our best players and draft picks.

Lol so he didn’t throw the ball but 2 yards on 4th and 7? So that wasn’t his fault lol ok!

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

There was more than one game in which he shared the bulk of the blame for losing. Early in the season the fact was that while he and the offense were good, our defense just couldn't give them the chances to win games. Then in the second half of the season that defense really started to improve and they were keeping us in games. Well....that was when Teddy started to poo the bed the most. 

That isn't sustainable. Ask yourself if he is effective as Ryan Fitzpatrick, the most obvious example of a backup caliber QB that can crush it as a starter for a few games before coming back to earth. IMO, he is not. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Post June 1st trade we don’t owe shut outside of 5mil dead cap this season. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

Teddy is here until 2022, 20M in dead money if cut this off-season (2021), the June 1st designation if memory serves is to spread the hit out over two seasons. That would make no sense when we need that money. 

In this case it's cheaper to keep him, give the new QB, most likely a rookie someone to compete with. 

I feel like all the (unwarranted) criticism and hyperbole people used about Cam were all true of Teddy. I remember Jon Beason saying in 2010 that people see who you really are when you’re faced with adversity, and I think this year really showed us who Teddy is. He’s selfish/me-first (throwing short to maintain his 2nd place in the NFL completion rating), not a team player (doesn’t take the blame for his errors, blames coaches), and is arrogant (acts like he’s Peyton manning at the LOS pre-snap, only to check into a run to save his completion rating). I’m sure there are more examples, and I do acknowledge that there are examples where he’s not any of those things, such as his runs for TDs or first downs. However, I see his performance on the field as a microcosm of his character, as what he truly desires is how he performs on the field. Change my mind. 

Edited by Manna

18 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Teddy didn’t go 5-0. Wins are a poor representation of a QBs ability to be good. Every team that he started with has been stacked. Vikings had an elite defense and AP and the Saints were stacked everywhere. He was not good and almost all the wins in NO, if it hadn’t been for the defense, they would have lost a few games. 
I don’t want a QB that can only be good if he is put in the right situation. All Teddy is is another Foles. Not that good but because he over performed some stupid team will think he is good and overpay him. 

8 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

Teddy is here until 2022, 20M in dead money if cut this off-season (2021), the June 1st designation if memory serves is to spread the hit out over two seasons. That would make no sense when we need that money. 

In this case it's cheaper to keep him, give the new QB, most likely a rookie someone to compete with. 

Cap hit is 23M, dead cap is 20M.

Cut him as a June 1, 20M spread out over two seasons.

Not ideal, but pretty much a trademark of a bad Hurney deal.