• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Zach Wilson a Franchise QB?

Ivan The Awesome

5 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

I think he's a bust potential but everyone else on here seems to be Wilson experts all of the sudden so idk

Are they not all bust potential? 

I see your point though--but I think his reading from the pocket and quick release can be difference makers.  Not sold on Wilson if we have to give up a bunch of picks.

So happy we beat WFT week 16.  Hang that banner.

I'm not a scout, but when I look at Wilson's highlights, I see a lot of impressive physical tools.  He's got a strong arm and can make NFL throws that some college QBs can't--outside the numbers from the far hash with velocity, for example.  He's got athleticism to escape the pocket and throw the ball accurately on the run. There's a lot to like.

What's harder to tell from the highlights for us non-scouts/those who can't watch every play from an All-22 angle, is his understanding of offensive concepts and progressions.  The highlights make it seem like he's fine in this regard, but they're highlights.  We don't see the plays where he may struggle.  If the coaches and front office feel like he's got the mental ability and he interviews well, I see no reason why someone with his physical tools can't be a franchise QB.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Most of the weaknesses that he points out are things that can easily be remedied versus him just not having the abilities. I think he can tighten up that footwork before the combine/work outs and probably have that on the road to being corrected by the time he arrives at his new team. 

With our line I would be a bit nervous because of his frame.  If he fell to us then I would be completely fine letting him sit the entire year to learn and bulk up.  Let teddy win us 6ish games and aim for 2022 to make a serious run. 

I certainly think he can be.  I think in today's NFL your success has much more to do with the coaching than it used to.  I think we have good coaching on this team, and I think that coaching is going to improve as they get settled into the pros.  I think our coaching staff, assuming we draft him, is what will take him from having star potential to actually being a star.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

With our line I would be a bit nervous because of his frame.  If he fell to us then I would be completely fine letting him sit the entire year to learn and bulk up.  Let teddy win us 6ish games and aim for 2022 to make a serious run. 

I would rather sign a different, cheaper veteran if that is the route we decided to take. We can probably get a vet on a deal less than half what Teddy would be in 2021. Even with the dead cap hit, if we can get someone to take him in a trade(even if we have to give up a draft pick) we would have a big chunk of money to roll towards 2022 cap or we could use it to help us fill out that OL(or some other need position) in free agency. 

The more I look at the scenarios, the more convinced I am we need to trade Teddy away to get out of that that deal, even if it means giving up draft capital to do it. When it was signed, I didn't realize how incredibly bad that it would look in hindsight. All of my assumptions with the deal were that Teddy would be a ho-hum NFL starter, not that he would prove to be a backup caliber player. 

38 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

I'm not a scout, but when I look at Wilson's highlights, I see a lot of impressive physical tools.  He's got a strong arm and can make NFL throws that some college QBs can't--outside the numbers from the far hash with velocity, for example.  He's got athleticism to escape the pocket and throw the ball accurately on the run. There's a lot to like.

What's harder to tell from the highlights for us non-scouts/those who can't watch every play from an All-22 angle, is his understanding of offensive concepts and progressions.  The highlights make it seem like he's fine in this regard, but they're highlights.  We don't see the plays where he may struggle.  If the coaches and front office feel like he's got the mental ability and he interviews well, I see no reason why someone with his physical tools can't be a franchise QB.

The QB school video that I posted earlier in the month in another thread actually goes through his lowlights. Shows how he can get a little cocky/showboat-y on the field and turns into irresponsible play Enders. I’d suggest def checking it out. It also talks about the concepts that BYU ran that helped make Zach successful as well. Let’s not forget the competition in his division during a CoVID year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1