• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Zach Wilson a Franchise QB?

Ivan The Awesome

I don't get the knock on his size. Aaron Rodgers is an inch shorter and 10 pounds heavier. And Wilson has a quick release so he will see minimal hits if he is smart with the ball. I'm not opposed to Lance, but the film is simply not there and he didn't play in a passing offense. You simply can't say what you are getting with him.

40 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

I don't get the knock on his size. Aaron Rodgers is an inch shorter and 10 pounds heavier. And Wilson has a quick release so he will see minimal hits if he is smart with the ball. I'm not opposed to Lance, but the film is simply not there and he didn't play in a passing offense. You simply can't say what you are getting with him.

I agree and I see Lance as a raw, untested and unrefined version of Cam Newton. The negatives are similar to what Newton’s were while in Carolina. The difference was that Cam showed to be able to play at a high level, but just not sure that Lance could do the same.

When a team drafts a QB high in the first round the expectation is that they could start anytime in their first year and play at a level that justifies the selection.

I think that Wilson would be that type of person. With Lance I believe that there would need to be a period of development before that evaluation is made. Just my 0.02

The big issue with him is he hasn't really been challenged enough. Alot of his games were against subpar teams. I want to see how he handles being on the bad team instead of the good one. Tons of qbs are great when they have great team, strong oline, top wrs/rbs. What happens when you remove some of those components. If only he had played a team like Alabama, Clemson, etc then you would have a more accurate assessment if he can play qb at the next level because if you can't play well against them then you surely won't play well against a NFL team.   

22 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

I agree and I see Lance as a raw, untested and unrefined version of Cam Newton. The negatives are similar to what Newton’s were while in Carolina. The difference was that Cam showed to be able to play at a high level, but just not sure that Lance could do the same.

When a team drafts a QB high in the first round the expectation is that they could start anytime in their first year and play at a level that justifies the selection.

I think that Wilson would be that type of person. With Lance I believe that there would need to be a period of development before that evaluation is made. Just my 0.02

I wish Lance was going to the Senior Bowl. I wonder why Jones is going and he's not? Neither are seniors.

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I see a lot of Baker Mayfield with Wilson. Frame, mobility and arm. I think Wilson is more accurate, but Baker had played more competitive teams than Wilson. 

Daniel Jeremiah thinks he's the real deal and compared his release and arm to Rodgers. FWIW, DJ also has not really said too many negative comments about all 4 QBs so I honestly think any of the big-4 would succeed with us. 

I would be real disappointed if we give up tons of draft assets to move up for one of these guys and then watch Lance go at 8.

DJ has him going #2 overall(wilson) in his latest mock. Its over at nfl.com. Has Lance going to the failcons(i may go insane). Has Fields to the panthers, Sewell is still on the board til the cowboy pick him. If that happened, MUCH prefer Sewell over Fields. Hes also got Slater going 5th, loves him. 

Theres about 12-14 studs in this pool, I hope Fitterererere is aware. I believe we need to stay put right now. If you do your top 9, god dam panthers will get a legit player at a spot of need/want. 

8 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

I like the sound of Fields to the Panthers.  I say stay put at 8 and get any of the top 4 QBs.  

It's a risky play because you have to figure teams behind us will know they have to jump us if they love whoever of Lawrence/Fields/Wilson/Lance is still on the board. Philadelphia, Cincinnati, and Miami are all viable trade down candidates. Atlanta could either take a QB or trade down. Where Watson lands will impact it as well. It's going to be a wild ride.

Edited by trueblade

He's more than likely going to the Jets at pick #2 or to whoever trades with them for that pick (it'll be stupid expensive).

With the recent Lions news , it's looking like there's a high probability all 4 of the top QBs will be gone by the time #8 is on the board .

So if the Panthers want to draft one of the premier QBs we'll have to pay a premium in draft capital to do so. 

The most realistic thing might be a trade down to mid 1st round and pick up an extra 2nd. Probably kick the tires on Trask/Jones/Newman and use the rest of the picks for oline and defense.

Probably won't pick up another qb in free agency due to Teddy's abysmal contract. So we'll probably do the above until Rhule finally gets sick of Teddy and let's whatever rookie we draft start .

All you draft nuts should be doing alot of research into day two QBs. 

23 hours ago, bobcat91 said:

And he's an inch taller and 5lbs lighter than Desean Watson.  5lbs is nothing. Nobody is complaining about Watson's size.  Wilson can easily put on 10 pounds of muscle as a pro if it was wanted or needed.

Edited by Moo Daeng