• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down the David Tepper interview - My Thoughts

Zod

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I kind of get it. We are fans, we knew what was what and have for the better part of 13 years at that point. He didn’t. Ownership cares more about the business then the product, that's just normal. It was when we fired Ron and kept Hirney that was frustrating. He should have nutted up and hired a good consultant to assist him but like you said, water under the bridge. If that failure leads to Tepper making better decisions in the future then we are better off now.

Not kidding, I was shocked that he didn't even bring in a "consultant" to help him make the transition to being a "new" owner in the NFL...just trusted what the guy before him....who got kicked out of the league....had trusted.

Just seems like a dumb idea from the start.

But, hats off....only took a couple years to see the incompetence.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

12 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Not kidding, I was shocked that he didn't even bring in a "consultant" to help him make the transition to being a "new" owner in the NFL...just trusted what the guy before him....who got kicked out of the league....had trusted.

Just seems like a dumb idea from the start.

But, hats off....only took a couple years to see the incompetence.

I have been worried about Hurney's taint being carried over by working with Rhule, hopefully we are now in the clear.

It's pretty positive that Tepper did learn, hopefully we are where we have begged to be as fans, under the competent guidance of great football people.

In hindsight, I don't blame Tepper for keeping Rivera, even if it was the wrong decision at the time. And as many of you know, I'm not much for patience lol.  I think Rivera's rep off the field preceded him and endeared him to many, making it hard for Tepper to come in and fire him immediately, even though most of the fanbase, myself included, wanted just that.  It could've looked hasty and harsh for Tepper to come in and make that move, so not doing so, especially with his background, is actually a credit to him.  And now, being able to publicly acknowledge that mistake will bid well for him when similar decisions need to be made down the road. *ahem, Teddy*

And speaking of Teddy, and Tepper's allusion to Wilson being a QB that can get you where you need to go.  I still want to know whose decision that was, because again, most football savvy folk here and everywhere else knew Teddy was, at-best, a game manager.  That fact alone was indicative of what he would be here in a best case scenario, so the idea that anyone thought he would come in and will us to win games like Cam in his prime still blows my mind.  I really wish they would have at least let Cam play out his final year of his contract...  Now, if Tepper can somehow land Watson, that will go a long way to repairing the mistakes made this previous offseason.

All in all, I'm excited.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, thefuzz said:

This was my point from the very start.

How the hell can you be smart enough to build what he had built for himself, earn and keep that kind of money, then purchase a billion dollar asset and look at Marty Hurney's and Ron's record and think thats the folks you want to trust with your 10 figure investment?

Maybe those "football people" telling him to keep Marty and Ron.....possibly....maybe....perhaps....didn't have the Carolina Panthers' best interest in mind?

Whatever, water under the bridge...but once again....missed opportunities.

I thought it was $2bn?

Anyway, by that point Rivera was a 2 time NFL Coach of the Year. He's also walked into another NFL Head Coaching gig after being fired by us. He's clearly well thought of in football circles. 

If you're a little bit overawed by the football side when you first buy your franchise I can see why you'd listen to your football contacts and retain Rivera. I'd have sacked him 5 minutes after the ink had dried, but that's by the by. 

He also kind of put my concerns to rest about being a meddling owner. Said his role is to make sure processes are working and followed not football decisions. Said he knew he has nowhere near the football knowledge that Matt and Scott have. That was good to hear and I hope he sticks to that. 

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:37 AM, Zod said:

The good news here is that Tepper recognizes his own misgivings. Not every owner would own up to it, most would not. Tepper concludes by saying he hopes the Rhule and Fitterer hiring are among his best when all is said and done. 

Good information.  I appreciate and respect your analysis.  You have a great relationship with the front office that many on here don't realize.  Keep up the good work.  Your humble servant, all mighty Great one.

• The D 1