• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting change in draft philosophy

Zod

6 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

Not really thrilled with "In Seattle". We are not Seattle and honestly not trying to emulate them. They were hot for a minute. They havent been hot for a decade or more.

A decade? They won the SB in '14, lost in the SB in '15 and have only missed the playoffs once since at 9-7. This year they won 12 games and made the playoffs.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

Not really thrilled with "In Seattle". We are not Seattle and honestly not trying to emulate them. They were hot for a minute. They havent been hot for a decade or more.

You want a team that consistently makes the playoffs and has a chance with an elite qb. The great franchises do that even if they don’t win it all. Some of y’all expect to be in the Super Bowl every year. That’s just not feasible with the cap. Sustained success is consistent playoff births.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

I think it changes from year to year.

I think most teams grade players, thus the "he had a 1st round grade, so we moved up quickly in the 2nd to grab him" type stuff.

Also, from year to year the amount of guys with 1st round grades change.  Not at all strange to see guys who pick in the mid twenties move out of the first round

Fans, and some GMs get hung up on certain players.  They believe the guy they can pick at 18 is exponentially better than the one they can pick at 22.  They are afraid of losing out.

Sounds like Seattle takes emotion out of it and says a guy we draft at 36, in reality, probably has about the same chance of a guy at 28 and because of that we will happily take an extra pick and trade down.

I like that philosophy, but at the end of the day you still have to do a good job of evaluating.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sarcasm? They've been in the playoffs consistently.

Given their level of success vs ours, hell yeah I'd try to emulate them.

They went 12-4 and couldn't make it out of the wild card round. They are soft as hell and have drafted like crap. Without Wilson, they would be in hot water and living on name recognition at this point.

I get taking some of that but in no way is emulating a franchise sliding into mediocrity a great thing. Happy with parts but not a copy and paste.

Edited by Waldo

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

They went 12-4 and couldn't make it out of the wild card round. They are soft as hell and have drafted like crap. Without Wilson, they would be in hot water and living on name recognition at this point.

I get taking some of that but in no way is emulating a franchise sliding into mediocrity a great thing. Happy with parts but not a copy and paste.

No offense but if they are the standard bearer of mediocrity....what the fug are we?

There have only been 3-4 franchises as successful as they have been over the past decade.

• Pie 3