• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting change in draft philosophy

Zod

13 minutes ago, Waldo said:

They have done a mediocre job in recent years. We have been a dumpster fire of roster building. Without Wilson, they look like the current Panthers. Good Wrs, no oline and a D with positives. The QB is the difference. Just not impressed with emulating. People emulating the pats have ended up in failures all over the league for years.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is accurate.

Even with Cam we have always been inconstant, they have always pretty much always in the playoffs.

If the difference between us and them is Wilson, does that mean Wilson was that much better than Cam?

• Beer 3

32 minutes ago, musicman said:

It's also the system. Any pick can flourish in the right system with the right coaches. Look at Robbie Anderson. I would rather have more 2nd to 4th round picks and hope a few take off, like Chinn.

I'm a big believer in team and fit for much of the draft.   Lot of guys that don't have long careers likely could of they landed at the right spots/opportunities.   Same goes for the opposite of that. 

Take a Tom Brady.  And unathletic dude like him lands on a different team.  Bad OL.  Weak coaching.  He probably never has a HOF career.   Might not even know his name.   Brady wasn't always Brady.  He developed in NE in a good team and system.  One where he could develop as the team leaned on the D and rush attack.      

I mean there are just freaks who will always be freaks.  A Julius Peppers.  A Megatron.   Where they will simply be studs no matter what. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Even with Cam we have always been inconstant, they have always pretty much always in the playoffs.

If the difference between us and them is Wilson, does that mean Wilson was that much better than Cam?

IMO, it means that Carroll and company is that much better than Rivera and company.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Wilson is a better QB than Cam was(outside perhaps 2015 version Cam) but I think the biggest differences are that Carroll is a far superior coach to Rivera and the Seahawks are a far, far superior organization to ours. Staying at that level goes way beyond just having an elite QB. 

Deshaun Watson wasn't able to make that dumpster fire in Houston work. Cam wasn't able to make the dumpster fire here work. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Yes, Wilson is a better NFL QB than Cam.

Doesn't take anything away from Cam, but Russell is turning out to be a great one.

• Pie 2

I'm not sure I agree with the "draft one every year" thing, unless he's serious about trading back to acquire additional picks...but if I were in that seat, the number 3 QB would likely be a revolving door, and one would only stick once they proved to be a better option than the number 2 guy on the roster.

Going back to Fitt's opinion on draft pick values and that 16-18 cutoff for elite talent...

Does that make it more likely for us to move up in the 1st or trade 1sts for Watson? He said they aren't looking for quick fixes but are looking for a quick turnaround. I presume that means he doesn't anticipate a great chance at those future 1sts meeting that 16-18 cutoff.

• Beer 1

Just now, thefuzz said:

I'm not sure I agree with the "draft one every year" thing, unless he's serious about trading back to acquire additional picks...but if I were in that seat, the number 3 QB would likely be a revolving door, and one would only stick once they proved to be a better option than the number 2 guy on the roster.

Yeah, I didn't agree with that either. You only have 6-8 picks in each draft. I don't think you take a QB every year for the sake of taking a QB. I don't like that philosophy at all. 

• Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

That is something we have consistently struggled with. Keeping mediocre JAGs around forever. 

Ron and Marty much preferred very top heavy teams...didn't think the bottom of the roster could help you win, or earn starting snaps very often...they were, in other words, just overloooked.

Means we kept guys here, on the roster, longer than most teams would have, or should have.

• Beer 3