• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting change in draft philosophy

Zod

2 hours ago, Zod said:

In discussing his draft philosophy, Fitterer says in Seattle the view was that there wasn't much difference in talent between the 25th and 40th picks (thus all the trade downs). Feels that top tier "ledge" stops around 16-18.

So basically you have 16-18 guys that really distinguish themselves. After that, you just try to find guys that fit your system. Talent drops off from there.

Of course there are outliers, but I believe he is right. 

A slightly different view...The teams picking after 18 are playoff teams meaning it should be harder for a rookie to come in and contribute day 1. 

Also, trading down in the early rounds to get additional mid round picks (based on current draft pick values) is generally a good thing from an approximate (player) value standpoint (http://www.footballperspective.com/creating-a-draft-value-chart-part-ii/).

Edited by Evil Hurney

This is out of the box, but what if we swapped #8 with Green Bay for Jordan Love, a first and a second.  We get our promising young quarterback with a season of watching Rogers for a year, plus a couple picks in the prime offensive line / LB / CB spots.  Teddy and Love can compete for QB duties before handing over the reins in 2022.  GB can get one of the stud WRs for Rogers to play with for 2-3 years until he retires.

While I agree on the principle, it's interesting him saying that considering many of Seattle's top players while he was there were guys that they passed over at least once while not doing so well in the first round lol (Wilson, DK, Lockett, Sherman, Kam, Wagner, etc.).  So I guess that's good and bad?

30 minutes ago, Growl said:

if we're gonna start trading away a bunch of 1st round picks for a surplus of mid rounders then maybe should just go ahead and pull the trigger on Watson

Well, as I pointed out in my above post, the good news is, Seattle killed it during his tenure there in maximizing value in the middle to late rounds of the draft, they had numerous all-pros, with a couple even coming out of the 5th round, and of course they got their franchise QB in the 3rd.  And as bad as a rep as they have at first round picks, when you hit like that and develop talent on the later picks, it really doesn't matter.  Same thing with NE.  Belichick has been notoriously bad in the first round, and also has always had a penchant for trading back and out, yet they develop lower round talent and UDFAs that make up for the busts in the earlier rounds (it doesn't hurt to have the greatest coach/cheater the game has ever seen either lol).  So, that has been my feeling all along...  if you know you're getting a sure thing in a trade using your first rounders, you do it, especially if your staff has a knack for developing talent regardless - which Rhule showed the ability to do even in year one...  and now we have Fitterer in the mix coming from Seattle's school of thought?  I am excited as I've ever been moving forward.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Well, as I pointed out in my above post, the good news is, Seattle killed it during his tenure there in maximizing value in the middle to late rounds of the draft, they had numerous all-pros, with a couple even coming out of the 5th round, and of course they got their franchise QB in the 3rd.  And as bad as a rep as they have a it first round picks, when you hit like that and develop talent on the later picks, it really doesn't matter.  Dame thing with NE.  Belching has been notoriously bad in the first round, and also has always had a penchant for trading back and out, yet they develop lower round talent and UDFAs that make up for the busts in the earlier rounds (it doesn't hurt to have the greatest coach/cheater the game has ever seen either lol).  So, that has been my feeling all along...  if you know you're getting a sure thing in a trade using your first rounders, you do it, especially if your staff has a knack for developing talent regardless - which Rhule showed the ability to do even in year one...  and now we have Fitterer in the mix coming from Seattle's school of thought?  I am excited as I've ever been moving forward.

I remember Seattle drafting some guy named Sherman in the fifth round a few years back.

That same year, we used our (higher) fifth rounder on Kealoha Pilares. Also spent earlier picks on Sione Fua, Terrell McClain and Brandon Hogan.

• Pie 2

Thats been the norm for many teams. Always varies somewhat, plus teams do value differently ie 3-4, 4-3, west coast etc etc. Bout to talk out of both sides, but all offenses run the plays if it works and defenses mainly rush 4 and drop 7. Still you look for traits more than not. 

Also if you trade back, that group leftd has less OT, DEs, QBs, WRs. I want to pick form a good group, not 1 OG, 1 SS, and 1 LB. 

I hope he doesnt take players off the board, put them in a high risk, not completely off. Tyrann "honey badger" mathieu was taken off boards and hes still ballin. (not for firsts or early 2s). 

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

They went 12-4 and couldn't make it out of the wild card round. They are soft as hell and have drafted like crap. Without Wilson, they would be in hot water and living on name recognition at this point.

I get taking some of that but in no way is emulating a franchise sliding into mediocrity a great thing. Happy with parts but not a copy and paste.

What is their winning percentage the last 10 years? last 5 years?  and how does that compare to everyone else in the league.

6 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

What is their winning percentage the last 10 years? last 5 years?  and how does that compare to everyone else in the league.

Yes, because they have a very good QB. A 12-4 team was dumped in the wild card round. If I was a fan I would be pissed at that. Still better than us? Sure.

I want the Panthers to be a bully and not a wet noodle that sneaks into the playoffs to be a punching bag. Aim for the best and not good enough would be my retort to you. 

Edit: Also we were in a SB more recently then them with that nice record. Just saying. 

Edited by Waldo