• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule has final say, but looking to build relationship with new GM

1 minute ago, Kuhndog94 said:

So Scott IS a yes man?

No, and Rhule himself has said he doesn't want one.

One of the specific things he said he wanted in a GM was someone who would argue with him and challenge him. We know from recent stories that Fitterer was willing to do that with Schneider and Caroll in Seattle, so I expect he'll do it here too.

• Pie 2
8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One of the specific things he said he wanted in a GM was someone who would argue with him and challenge him. We know from recent stories that Fitterer was willing to do that with Schneider and Caroll in Seattle, so I expect he'll do it here too.

I mean I get what he's saying, but you don't really come out and say you want a yes man. I can see why Dodds backed out with the way this is arranged.

I believe in Rhule, so I don't really have a problem with it. I'm just saying it's a possibility they wanted a yes man.

Just now, Kuhndog94 said:

I mean I get what he's saying, but you don't really come out and say you want a yes man. I can see why Dodds backed out with the way this is arranged.

I believe in Rhule, so I don't really have a problem with it. I'm just saying it's a possibility they wanted a yes man.

Rhule actually said quite a bit about it in the article. It's worth a read.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

you can challenge and argue and still be a yes man.

If Rhule has final say, that means you are yes man by default at the end of the day.

Some organizations have the coach with final say, some have the GM.  Both work, and both don't.

At the end of the day the guy writing the check has the final say (Tepper or any owner), only question is how much the decide to get involved.

For the record, Fitterer is coming from an environment where the coach had final say, so it's not like he isn't used to this.

With that said, Matt Rhule doesn't strike me in the least bit as the kind who's going to say "this is my word and my word is law". He's smarter than that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For the record, Fitterer is coming from an environment where the coach had final say, so it's not like he isn't used to this.

With that said, Matt Rhule doesn't strike me in the least bit as the kind who's going to say "this is my word and my word is law". He's smarter than that.

This hire smells like Tepper didn't like that Marty may have been operating in a vacuum...at least that's what it feels like a bit.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm guessing most decisions will be a collaboration between the two of them, which is fine, but sooner or later there is a chance that they will disagree on a player and one of them will have to pull rank and sounds like Rhule has higher rank.

This type of arrangement can work, but I do think it is important that the coach and GM are of very similar mindset, if not there would be too much conflict and it could get toxic.

I would be curious to know, did Schneider or Carroll have final say?