• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our old buddy Josh McCown has a job opportunity...

Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

The google machine says Elway and Lynch were drafted by MLB? 

I got curious and decided to look up NFL players who became coaches.

The list of guys who were good at both is pretty damn short, and the one big name we were all missing was Tom Flores.

On the other hand, the list of great coaches who played short of unremarkable careers includes some amazing and surprising names. Chuck Noll, Tom Landry and Don Shula are names I associate with coaching, but they all played professionally as well.

Edited by Mr. Scot

The question here isn’t whether he can be a good head coach...the question is why in the hell r u interviewing a guy with no real experience while you’re trying to convince your franchise QB on staying??

Unless they are looking for a coach knowing Watson is already gunna be shipped out.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

A player becoming the head coach of the team he plays for is something I could imagine happening in the early days of football, but not today.

Yeah, seems unimaginable in today’s NFL. 

here is a cool list of players that also coached at the same time.   Didn’t realize some started out this way.  Largely other sports.  Same big names like Joe Torre and Bill Russell

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/mlb/news/508950/amp

Dan Reeves was actually a player and position coach in the NFL.  Didn’t know that. 

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah, seems unimaginable in today’s NFL. 

here is a cool list of players that also coached at the same time.   Didn’t realize some started out this way.  Largely other sports.  Same big names like Joe Torre and Bill Russell

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/mlb/news/508950/amp

Dan Reeves was actually a player and position coach in the NFL.  Didn’t know that. 

I feel like it was more common in baseball, but Pete Rose is the only player-manager I can remember in the past several decades.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be clear, McCown is a super smart guy. Plenty of people that have worked with him say he has the potential to be a head coach in the NFL someday. He's also gutsy and a leader, as evidenced by his playing through injury for the Eagles last year.

And if they were talking about giving him a shot at being a quarterback coach or an offensive assistant or something like that to get his foot in the door, I'd be saying "good choice".

But discussing your head coaching job with that guy who's never been so much as coached high school?

That's a little beyond "outside the box".

Josh McCown has coached for Myers Park, FWIW.  He may still be coaching there. His son goes there.