• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fox analyst says he heard that Watson has interest in Panthers!

top dawg

Trading a bunch of firsts is one thing.  Trading young cheap players like Burns is another.  You cannot and should not be including any players outside of Bridgewater in any potential deal.  If you do you risk the Panthers turning into the Texans, being devoid of talent and winning 4-5 games with Watson.  What good does that do?

The Panthers need to be aggressive about drafting a stud rookie QB (Fields, Wilson or Lance) and going to war with them on a rookie contract.  That’s how your successful in this league.. Not by trading everything for a guy who will take up a third of your cap.  That’s a recipe for disaster.  I’m praying the Dolphins get him honestly they are the best fit and in the best position to not gut their team for him.  

• Pie 4

Do we have any people on this forum who are extreme football experts. For instance you're obsessed with football and know way more than typical fans. This question is for you.

What would the Texans be willing to accept realistically as a trade for Watson?

Edited by pantherj

12 minutes ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

I bet Jacksonville wouldn't trade their 1st pick for Watson straight up. Not because they think Laurence will be better but because he is dirt cheap. Therefore not taking contracts into consideration is quite foolish

But they will take contracts into consideration. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have a strong possibility of happening! Trade opportunities like this just don't come along! Of course you're going to have to give something of value to get something of value.

I just think that many Huddlers just don't have any idea how to valuate the players. They act like CMC's contract is such the impediment, or they think we should give up two first round players--or more--plus multiple first round picks--and day two picks (like our players, who are on cheap contracts by the way, relatively have little value). I don't believe any of that's the case. 

We can make a deal if all parties involved wants a deal! No one is going to come away in the perfect situation.

For the Panthers at pick 8 and the likely scenario of improvement year over year, it would probably cost three first rounders.  For a team in the top 3 like the Jets or Miami it will be less picks because a top 3 pick has more value, as does a pick this year rather than a future pick.  So the Dolphins probably would have to give up both firsts this year which should get it done in my opinion.  

For example think of the cost it would take to move from 8 to 3 for the Panthers.  It’s astronomical, so now imagine just giving that pick to Houston straight up ( even tho it technically is their pick lol).  Maybe they agree to throw in a third or something additional, but the Texans need to realize they are devoid of talent at literally every area of the team.  Watson is their only asset they can move to improve during this rebuild.    They are going nowhere with Watson over the next 3-4 years and teams know this.  The teams in the mix for Watson (Car, NYJ, Dolphins) can all easily just draft a rookie and tell Houston to eat poo.  

35 minutes ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

I bet Jacksonville wouldn't trade their 1st pick for Watson straight up. Not because they think Laurence will be better but because he is dirt cheap. Therefore not taking contracts into consideration is quite foolish

Yup, if the Panthers had the 1st pick in the draft, I would expect them to draft Lawrence, exactly for the reason you mentioned.

The Panthers don't have that pick and the cost of getting from #8 to #1 is equal to or greater than the cost for Watson. 

Forget the #1 pick - the price for that is just out of reach. The best chance for the Panthers is #3, which again, is going to be costly.

So, the Panthers could spend up to three 1st round picks to get to #3 and draft a QB that is not necessarily a sure thing (Fields/Wilson) OR they can spend those picks on a proven franchise level QB who is only 25 years old.

5 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Yup, if the Panthers had the 1st pick in the draft, I would expect them to draft Lawrence, exactly for the reason you mentioned.

The Panthers don't have that pick and the cost of getting from #8 to #1 is equal to or greater than the cost for Watson. 

Forget the #1 pick - the price for that is just out of reach. The best chance for the Panthers is #3, which again, is going to be costly.

So, the Panthers could spend up to three 1st round picks to get to #3 and draft a QB that is not necessarily a sure thing (Fields/Wilson) OR they can spend those picks on a proven franchise level QB who is only 25 years old.

Or stay at 8, keep all your picks, draft the Qi that falls and build your team through the draft.   

slightly off topic but holy hell the win against the skins looks dumber and dumber with new day.  

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Or stay at 8, keep all your picks, draft the Qi that falls and build your team through the draft.   

slightly off topic but holy hell the win against the skins looks dumber and dumber with new day.  

Yup, keep the picks and the Panthers are more likely to end up with someone like Blake Bortles, Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert. 

But hey, at least you saved your picks.

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Sure you do if there is a 25 year old franchise qb on the table. 

If this happens there will likely be future threads about how the GM sucks and we are wasting Watsons talent.  I think about the holes on this team without DJ, Brian Burns and Derrick Brown. That’s our last three first rounders. You lose their talent and their growth. 

not saying don’t do it but saying there is a huge cost. 

1 minute ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

If this happens there will likely be future threads about how the GM sucks and we are wasting Watsons talent.  I think about the holes on this team without DJ, Brian Burns and Derrick Brown. That’s our last three first rounders. You lose their talent and their growth. 

not saying don’t do it but saying there is a huge cost. 

I agree the cost is huge, but I believe we have better pieces in place at the executive level to get quality players beyond Day1.

Getting a franchise QB is going to be costly this year, no matter how you slice it. And punting the ball down the road just ensures continued mediocrity until the position is filled.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Or you could end up with someone like Watson, mahomes, Lamar or allen

gee this is fun

Go back and look at the last 10 drafts for QBs. Tell me how likely that is to happen. You're picking 3 anomalies out of more than 20 QBs picked in the first round.

1 minute ago, Raleigh PF said:

Go back and look at the last 10 drafts for QBs. Tell me how likely that is to happen. You're picking 3 anomalies out of more than 20 QBs picked in the first round.

You literally just said in your last post you trust our front office in identifying talent.    I will trust them as well to not only draft the qb but also develop them.   Watsons price and contract are both way too much to take on with our current situation.  Like i asked before how do you afford Watson cmac motion moore etc???    We would look like the 2020 Texans in 2 years.   

6 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Yup, keep the picks and the Panthers are more likely to end up with someone like Blake Bortles, Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert. 

But hey, at least you saved your picks.

Hate to be the one to break this to you but this team has made way to many stupid azz moves over the last 5 seasons to trade that many assets for a star player. We just have to pray we land a Mahomes at 8. Anything else and we will remain at the bottom of the toilet.