• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fox analyst says he heard that Watson has interest in Panthers!

top dawg

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Everyone clamoring for Watson hasn't factored in the cost or lack therof in signing all of our core young guy's when their contract comes up.   

A decent chunk of those guys are going to be due near the end of Watson's deal. 

If we do or don't do a deal with Watson(looking increasingly unlikely if the reports of the Jets and Dolphins being his two preferred destinations are accurate) some hard decisions will have to be made on those guys. I don't think you will see DJ Moore, Brian Burns, Jeremy Chinn and Derrick Brown all in Carolina Panthers uniforms in six years.

We can make a deal happen but the biggest issue is whether it is worth it. If we could reasonably dump one or more of our bad contracts in the deal(Teddy, CMC, Shaq) it would be. However, those are three of the least tradeable contracts in the NFL. Furthermore, even if we could get someone interested in CMC, trading him nukes our cap for the next 3 years.

I look at the Watson trade talk basically like getting a lottery ticket, the biggest benefit is likely just the few days you get to think about what you would do of it actually happened.

• Beer 1

42 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Everyone clamoring for Watson hasn't factored in the cost or lack therof in signing all of our core young guy's when their contract comes up.   

This is silly.

We'd be in the same situation with any franchise QB, not just Watson.  To win in the NFL, you have to have a franchise QB.  To have a franchise QB (unless they are on a rookie deal, in which case you're probably only getting a year or two of high level play before you have to pay them), you have to pony up the cap space to keep them on the roster.  And allocating that cap space to a franchise QB means having to make tough decisions about other players that also need to get payed. You can either pay all the top guys and skimp on depth, only keep the QB and try to spread around the remaining cap around a larger of mid-level guys, try to stagger and structure deals so that the cap hits vary year to year to fit it all in under the cap, or hope to draft well enough that you're constantly getting outsized contributions for your dollars from players on rookie deals. Usually it's a combination of these strategies.

TL/DR, your logic is dumb.

This is just my opinion. I wouldn't give up more than (3) 1st Round Picks, a mid round pick, and if your trading a player for Watson I'd rather it be Brian Burns or another player then CMC! Every time needs a great QB, but also needs a great RB to take some of the pressure off the QB!

55 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

This is silly.

We'd be in the same situation with any franchise QB, not just Watson.  To win in the NFL, you have to have a franchise QB.  To have a franchise QB (unless they are on a rookie deal, in which case you're probably only getting a year or two of high level play before you have to pay them), you have to pony up the cap space to keep them on the roster.  And allocating that cap space to a franchise QB means having to make tough decisions about other players that also need to get payed. You can either pay all the top guys and skimp on depth, only keep the QB and try to spread around the remaining cap around a larger of mid-level guys, try to stagger and structure deals so that the cap hits vary year to year to fit it all in under the cap, or hope to draft well enough that you're constantly getting outsized contributions for your dollars from players on rookie deals. Usually it's a combination of these strategies.

TL/DR, your logic is dumb.

Actually your logic is not logical at all. You forgot the whole part about giving up multiple firsts when you will be needing them to replace the guys you admitted won't be resigned. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Actually your logic is not logical at all. You forgot the whole part about giving up multiple firsts when you will be needing them to replace the guys you admitted won't be resigned. 

I wasn't speaking to what we would need to trade to get Watson. Simply pointing out that cap space arguments like that shouldn't be used to prevent us from making/exploring the trade.  Roster management must occur regardless of whether our QB is DeShaun Watson or in a couple years, a QB like a Zach Wilson that could also require a large contract.

19 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Clemson is "home". So it's pretty obvious that he's a fit here. You don't have to wonder if he wants to stay here, HOME.

DO IT!

This idea of "home" seems to keep popping up...

...he was actually born and raised in Gainesville, GA which is just NE of Atlanta and right on the way to  Clemson (82 miles from Gainesville).  As you'd expect he was a GA schoolboy football legend who set lots of state records and won a state championship in his junior season.

His time spent in Clemson amounted to only 3 years because he started as a true freshman.

Charlotte is 135 miles from Clemson and not on the way to or from anything Deshaun has ever been involved in or associated with...

..."home" is Georgia -- they too have an NFL team that would like to upgrade at the QB position.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

7 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

I wasn't speaking to what we would need to trade to get Watson. Simply pointing out that cap space arguments like that shouldn't be used to prevent us from making/exploring the trade.  Roster management must occur regardless of whether our QB is DeShaun Watson or in a couple years, a QB like a Zach Wilson that could also require a large contract.

Although your tone was a little (maybe a lot) "extra", I think you're right. But really all that you had to say:

At some point, if you have a franchise level QB, you're going to have to maneuver your team-specific contractual landscape. That being the case, this shouldn't be an obstacle to acquiring the most talented QBs in the business!

At some point, if you're lucky, you're going to have to pay the piper! You're going to have to pay your guy, try and manipulate numbers to keep as many key players as possible, plan, and continue to make tough choices to try and keep the franchise in contention. These are things that the top franchises in the NFL do more times than not! It comes with the territory! 

I hope we don't do something stupid like trading a couple of firsts and the best  RB in this franchise's history for an poor mans Cam Newton that we will have to pay a small fortune in salary to.  Fug that - teams win by drafting talent not trading the farm for it.

Edited by Paa Langfart

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

I hope we don't do something stupid like trading a couple of firsts and the best  RB in this franchise's history for an poor mans Cam Newton that we will have to pay a small fortune in salary to.

In what world is Watson a poor mans Cam Newton? One where the rich are inaccurate and inconsistent? I love Cam but that statement is silly. 

Also it's "a poor" not "an poor" for your grammar lesson of the day. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If we do or don't do a deal with Watson(looking increasingly unlikely if the reports of the Jets and Dolphins being his two preferred destinations are accurate) some hard decisions will have to be made on those guys.

Twitter is saying his interest in the Jets has been majorly inflated by the media so that helps a bit. 

2 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

I hope we don't do something stupid like trading a couple of firsts and the best  RB in this franchise's history for an poor mans Cam Newton that we will have to pay a small fortune in salary to.  Fug that - teams win by drafting talent not trading the farm for it.

I love Cam, but DeShaun Watson is a far better passer than Cam was. Your statement is just silly.  

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2