• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stafford Available

Untouchable

I'm not big on the idea of trading for a QB, honestly. If we had to take one of the two, though, I'd go with Stafford on cap hit alone. Both can win in the right system with some protection.

Four years from now, though, both will be nearing the end of their pro football journeys and we'll have to start this mess over again. Make the right pick of a QB in the draft and that person will be in their prime at that same spot in time...

Just saying.

10 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

Who in the hell left there that was any count anywhere else. Detroit has had nobody but Megatron and Stafford.

Marvin Jones JR (was good before Detroit)

Kenny Golladay

Golden Tate (was good before Detroit)

Eric Ebron (had success after Detroit)

The top two guys are still there. Golden Tate was a good #2 during his time there.

And before that he had arguably the greatest WR of all time.

Thats a hell of a lot better than who Cam was throwing the ball to most of his time here. 
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

We won 5 games last year. You think Stafford gets you 5 games? Because I don’t. 

I said in the other thread but his biggest problem is staying healthy. He had like 4 injuries including an injury to his throwing hand thumb. This seems to happen every single year with him. And while he doesn’t miss games, his level of play suffers.

I don’t put the entirety of the blame at him because that org has had shitty coaches and shitty teams surrounding him (talking defense). But I think if we signed him it could be a disaster with our oline question marks, him being injury prone and his lack of mobility.

22 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm not big on the idea of trading for a QB, honestly. If we had to take one of the two, though, I'd go with Stafford on cap hit alone. Both can win in the right system with some protection.

Four years from now, though, both will be nearing the end of their pro football journeys and we'll have to start this mess over again. Make the right pick of a QB in the draft and that person will be in their prime at that same spot in time...

Just saying.

Hypothetically, if this fantasy were to happen it does not prevent the team from drafting his replacement every year until they find him.  It's not like it's one or the other.

• Pie 1

It's hard to judge any of these options without knowing the cost. I'd be willing to give as high as our 2nd for Stafford but I have a feeling a team like Indy might decide giving away this year's 1st for Stafford makes sense since they're not missing much outside of a qb. Personally my preference would be this:

Offer up to 2 1sts and a 2nd (not Moore or Burns) for Watson (very unlikely to be enough but you have to at least throw your name in).

Then offer up to our 2nd for Stafford (may not be enough)

Then wait and see who is available at 8 and draft one of the top qbs.

If no one is avaiable that you like, trade back and with a later 1st or early 2nd, take a chance on someone in the next tier if available and you like their potential (Jones, Trask, etc).

If that doesn't work out, build up the team as best you can and look into low-priced veterans to compete with Teddy (Winston, Trubisky) with an offer in the single digits (e.g. $5 million) and wait till 2022 to come up with your long-term qb plan.

Notably not in play at all for me would be trading up for a rookie qb. We have no idea if any of these qbs will translate. If you screw up, you set your team back years because you've not only wasted this year's pick, you wasted multiple other picks including next year's 1st at minimum which will inevitably end up being a top 10 pick if the rookie doesn't work out. It's one thing to gamble a single top 10 pick on a rookie that doesn't live up. But multiple top 10 picks is crippling especially when you're already missing multiple pieces (including an entire O line). We can pretend we have faith in our new management but essentially every single team in the league had high initial grades on players like Sam Darnold and Blake Bortles (in most cases, higher than Zach Wilson or Justin Fields).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I said in the other thread but his biggest problem is staying healthy. He had like 4 injuries including an injury to his throwing hand thumb. This seems to happen every single year with him. And while he doesn’t miss games, his level of play suffers.

I don’t put the entirety of the blame at him because that org has had shitty coaches and shitty teams surrounding him (talking defense). But I think if we signed him it could be a disaster with our oline question marks, him being injury prone and his lack of mobility.

It’s just a bandaid man. If we’re going to build a sustained winner here we have to stop trying to take short cuts. 

If there was a way to unload Teddy, get Stafford AND still draft a QB at 8, then I’d be on board. 

Just now, AceBoogie said:

It’s just a bandaid man. If we’re going to build a sustained winner here we have to stop trying to take short cuts. 

If there was a way to unload Teddy, get Stafford AND still draft a QB at 8, then I’d be on board. 

He is for sure a bandaid but there’s issues with signing him and trying to draft a QB at 8. Detroit now being in play for a QB and picking 1 spot before us is really tough. We’re gonna have to move up I think. That means first round picks. It’s very possible all 4 qbs go before us. We are in a very shitty spot right now and this is what qb purgatory feels like. 

7 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

This is where I currently am.  I do not want to trade up either because we need the picks to continue to build.  

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

He is for sure a bandaid but there’s issues with signing him and trying to draft a QB at 8. Detroit now being in play for a QB and picking 1 spot before us is really tough. We’re gonna have to move up I think. That means first round picks. It’s very possible all 4 qbs go before us. We are in a very shitty spot right now and this is what qb purgatory feels like. 

What’s your thoughts on beating teams like Detroit late in the season and now they’re in better draft position with the potential to move even higher. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

What’s your thoughts on beating teams like Detroit late in the season and now they’re in better draft position with the potential to move even higher. 

It’s stupid. At some point during the season you know what your team is. You don’t outright throw games but you start IRing players with nagging injuries that could play through if there was something to play for.  You start looking at your practice squad and non 1st stringers with the intention of evaluating for next year. This should have been the intent by the front office before the season started. Get your cap in order, trade/cut aging talent, etc. 

although I honestly think we wanted to lose that redskins game but Haskins was so horrible there was nothing to be done. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

With Stanford being traded the Lions will be in the market for a QB. So that’s Jags, possibly Jets, Falcons, Lions, and perhaps Miami looking for a QB. 

That means we will end up reaching for a QB. So getting Stafford wouldn’t be a bad idea. He’d be a baller on the Panthers. 

So if those teams go after a QB, we end up with a damn good OL or CB.