• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stafford officially on the trading block

NAS

Fitts said we'd be involved in every deal and it goes without saying we have a need at QB. I expect us to at least have a conversation though I suspect we would prefer a younger option to build around.

I expect him to land with a team that's more in win now mode. The Niners might be a strong player here. The Rams could be a sleeper candidate. The Bears would make sense if Stafford and his camp don't mind Nagy.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fitts said we'd be involved in every deal and it goes without saying we have a need at QB. I expect us to at least have a conversation though I suspect we would prefer a younger option to build around.

Why can't they do both?  Everyone looks at it like it's one or the other.  If it were me I would target Stafford if the price is right, meaning I don't have to give up this year's first.

Use that pick to either take a LT or trade down a few spots and take Jones and a LT in the second.  Profit.

And I would give up next year's 4th for someone to take Teddy.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Drew Brees and Tom Brady are in their 40s.

Rodgers is in his late 30s.

It's a different NFL these days. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Drew Brees and Tom Brady are in their 40s.

Rodgers is in his late 30s.

It's a different NFL these days. 

No it's not. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are just different and Brees hit that Father Time wall hard this year. Those guys are all-time greats and future first ballot HOFers. Stafford is definitely talented, but I don't think anyone is trying to say he's on those guys' level. Football is still a brutal sport and you need a ton of talent, a ton of football smarts, and a TON of luck on the injury front to have that type of longevity.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No it's not. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are just different and Brees hit that Father Time wall hard this year. Those guys are all-time greats and future first ballot HOFers. Stafford is definitely talented, but I don't think anyone is trying to put say he's on those guys' level. Football is still a brutal sport and you need a ton of talent, a ton of football smarts, and a TON of luck on the injury front to have that type of longevity.

Matthew Stafford is a brilliant QB. He's a huge upgrade over what we have and he has 5 years left - easy. 

I think the broken ribs hit Brees hard this year, not Father Time. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Matthew Stafford is a brilliant QB. He's a huge upgrade over what we have and he has 5 years left - easy. 

I think the broken ribs hit Brees hard this year, not Father Time. 

He's a huge upgrade, yes. But I'm not convinced that'll make him an elite QB into his late 30s and early 40s. That'll take a lot of luck.

25 year old Brees doesn't get his ribcage pulverized like he got hit by a train from a run of the mill tackle.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a huge upgrade, yes. But I'm not convinced that'll make him an elite QB into his late 30s and early 40s. That'll take a lot of luck.

25 year old Brees doesn't get his ribcage pulverized like he got hit by a train from a run of the mill tackle.

Well I guess we would be better off to just roll  with Teddy? I don’t like those odds

Watson would take multiple 1sts. Stafford would more than likely take one 1st rounder. Or if they play their cards right, a player and a second. Either way Stafford is only 32 and he could potentially play till his in his late 30's. He'd instantly upgrade this offense. It wouldn't break the bank and even if it's just one 1st rounder that's not bad because you know what you get for Stafford and he'd easily play at least 5 years. You already have a good core of players, build around him and compete. 

I like that at least we know that Fitterer and the brass will be in this conversation. Exploring every avenue to become a better football team.

• Pie 2