• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt weighs in on Deshaun Watson and Matt Stafford

Zod

Stafford needs a stone wall o-line, like the one in Indy, not our patchwork line where we don't even who will be at LT, and the interior sucks. I could go on why Stafford doesn't want to come here, but I think we'll see a Stafford to Indy announcement soon. No need to go on about it.

Here's my thing about Stafford.

QB's now in the right situation can play a High level until their late 30's especially the Stafford type.  The runners who put themselves out there for the Hits are the ones who decline fast when they hit the 30 hump.

My thing about this.

While I love the idea of Watson.   What its going to take to get him is like madden.  And just doesn't feel realistic that it happens to ne.

Next the draft.  With Detroit moving on from Stafford.  There is a Very Very Very Strong possibility that the top 4 QBs are off the board by 8.

Now we can trade up.  But this means we are going to have to get into a bidding war with Detroit who litterally has no one now, not even a Bridgewater.  They also are going to gain ammo from the Stafford deal.  Now this is putting us into a Goff/RG3 scenario where we are giving up 3 1s plus some to start just to get Lance or Fields.

Are you willing to give up 3 1s and 1-2 2s for a Fields or Lance?

If not, are you still hellbent on Stafford age and not want him?

If so, are you fully prepared to run it back with Teddy?

Now when we do this.  With CMC returning and whatever talent we get at 8.  We arent picking 8 again.  You're looking at 10-12 range.

So, are you Now prepared to move all the way up from 12 to 2 in the next draft?

The Eagles had to give up 2 1st, a 2 and a 3 to move from 8 to 2 for Wentz.  In a draft where maybe 1 team ahead of them needed a QB.  Now what do you think it will cost from 12 to 2?

• Pie 1

Stafford makes more sense to Indy, SF, Pittsburgh or Chicago. Teams that were in the playoffs and are in need of a QB upgrade. I also feel like that's the area of 1st round draft pick value that Stafford is due. I think our #8 is too much for him.

I like Stafford, but I feel like for all of those poo-pooing on wins and not seeing the long-game process of rebuilding this team for a resulting 10-6 team, this is essentially the same move. 

Rhule & Tepper have preached that Rome wasn't built in a day, so making a move in year 2 for a QB that will be 33 next month doesn't seem like the right move.

I won't be mad if it happens, bc I like Stafford....I just think this move is a year or two too early.

Rebuilding teams shouldn't take older declining QBs for all the obvious reasons. Think of the hits Stafford would have to endure behind our o-line? Hell we're still not even finished rebuilding our defense. We're not a win now team. The Colts will want Stafford, and they should be the team to have him and try to win right now. 

22 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

His stat is nitpicking to try to prove his over exaggerated premise.

I don't necessarily think he looked at the stats...probably just an expression.

I'd agree that Stafford would be an ideal fit for Brady's offense, but ultimately I don't think we're getting Stafford or Watson anyway.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I watched the game where he put up 0 points against our vaunted D. He clearly wasn’t healthy again so that’s two years in a row he’s broken down and been very ineffective when hurt. He’s not going to magically get healthier in the next 5 years. Our luck with injuries for players over 30 isn’t good. I don’t really want to add another. If we were 10-6/lost in the first round with mediocre Teddy, then I’d say sure let’s improve the QB spot (Stafford is clearly more talented) and hope he stays healthy. At 5-11, I don’t see Stafford with his injury risk being worth 8-8/9-7/maybe first round loss for another 5 years.

Well, he did have a thumb injury. Just saying. 

He is somewhat of an injury risk, but once he got rolling from an injury-riddled first couple of season's, he played in every game up until 2019! He also played in every game last season. 

I wouldn't mind getting him, but only if we don't have to give up the 8th pick! That probably won't happen, especially with situations out there that are arguably much better landing spots like Indy! 

Yeah, Tepper is Tepper, Rhule is intent on churning the roster in the name of improvement, and Fitt's going to be in on "every" deal, but I think the possibility of Stafford landing here is low.

We'll see.

Edited by top dawg