• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt weighs in on Deshaun Watson and Matt Stafford

Zod

9 hours ago, philit99 said:

I think Stafford would give us a better chance to compete quickly. Watsons contract and trade requirements would set us back 4-5 years. We could compete with Stafford in 1-2 years. Longevity is the big problem, Stafford has 5 years left tops, Watson has 10-12 years left. Question is do we want to win now and need to retool faster, or take the 5 year plan?

I dune know what have yall the idea that these are valid points. But i don't care what we get rid of, DeShawn won't be down for long. Then, the staff is responsible to make It happen right along wth Watson cuz he is the truth

9 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Watson has apparently made it clear he likes us and we like him too. C'mon make it happen. He WILL accept a trade to Carolina. That's obvious, get it done Fritter!

Wrong. 

Jets and Phins.  

We may be in the mix, but it certainly clear we are not in his top 2 choices. 

If wants to be a Jet over us, I say let him be a Jet. 

6 hours ago, JJman Returns said:

I just don’t get the Stafford hate. It’s bizarre considering our two best QBs in franchise history are Jake Delhomme and Cam Newton and neither is even close statistically to what Stafford is (Which is not a knock towards Cam). 

He’s 4th among active QBs in game winning drives. Behind Brady, Brees and Roethlisberger despite him only playing 13 games in his first two seasons. He’s had no one to throw to other than Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate yet he consistently throws for 4000+ yards. Since 2011 he’s only missed 8 games and has played through numerous injuries because of a consistently bad OL. Not to mention he played under Jim Schwartz and Matt Patricia. Two poo coaches. 

Now considering the Colts, Patriots, Saints, Broncos, Bears and WFT could all make a play for him, I’d worry it would take quite a bit to get him. But if a couple 2nd round picks gets it done, I’d be very happy seeing him come here. We could patiently draft and develop his successor whenever we wanted. 

No hates him, he’s just not as good as his empty numbers indicate. He’s made one pro bowl in his career, he never beats winning teams and he’s the king of garbage time.

If you want to look at a microcosm of Stafford’s career warped up in a 2 week frame go back to 2017, they were 8-7 going into week 16 vs a mediocre bengals team, it was a must win game. Stafford goes out there and sh*ts the bed. Next week in a meaningless game vs the packers with Hundley starting he goes out there and throws for 300 yards and 3 TD. Plays like a beast when the opposing team is trash, plays terrible when they are good.

btw he’s always had good weapons. Calvin, Burleson, Tate, Marvin Jones, Galloday, some decent TE in Scheftler, Petigrew, Ebron, Hockerson

1 hour ago, Chris Wilson said:

I dune know what have yall the idea that these are valid points. But i don't care what we get rid of, DeShawn won't be down for long. Then, the staff is responsible to make It happen right along wth Watson cuz he is the truth

I gone read dem contracts and saw dat his contract be too much. We have no offensive line, no money to buy more. Give too much draft spots.

51 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Wrong. 

Jets and Phins.  

We may be in the mix, but it certainly clear we are not in his top 2 choices. 

If wants to be a Jet over us, I say let him be a Jet. 

It'd be crazy to go from one dumpster fire of an organization to another. I mean, I realize we're no Steelers or Pats, but outside of the Texans the Jets might be the next worst organization in the league currently.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Chris Wilson said:

You know wha' they say: See a broad to get that bodiac lay'er down an' smack 'em yack 'em

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It'd be crazy to go from one dumpster fire of an organization to another. I mean, I realize we're no Steelers or Pats, but outside of the Texans the Jets might be the next worst organization in the league currently.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. 

Just stated what has been made public by the Watson camp. 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, pantherj said:

Stafford is 32. We're still several seasons away from completing our rebuilding process. We need a younger QB imo. Stafford will go to the 49ers who are in a "win now" kind of position imo. If not the 49ers, then you plug Stafford into the Colts and they're back in the playoffs imo. He's not coming here. 

This.

22 hours ago, stbugs said:

I like the idea of extending our mediocrity on the hope that we get lucky and hit on a QB late in round 1. What if this is our last top 10 pick for a while and we continue to pick in the 15-23 range?

Going back to 1990, over the last 31 years you have “lucky” picks of Wilson and Brady that we should ignore as they weren’t mid to late first/early 2nd talents. They were just ridiculous values. In that there have been studs like Favre, Brees, Rodgers and maybe Lamar, but that’s once every 8 years basically. Then you’ve got mainly outright garbage or guys like Flacco and Carr and gasp, Teddy. 1-14 and there are tons of solid to great/possibly great (too early) QBs and tons of Flacco’s.

I don’t want to bide my time if we don’t feel like Stafford can get us to the SB knowing that it hugely restricts our chances to get “that” guy. I personally don’t think we are lucky enough to find that once every 8 years stud. If we are, it probably doesn’t matter what we do now.

Flacco won the super bowl back in 2012. You may want to exclude him from your list. 

He is terrible now, but a had several solid years.