• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers would love to try and pry away Matthew Stafford

TheSpecialJuan

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He is. I think he's the most intriguing QB prospect at the Senior Bowl. 

I don't want to come down on Jones too hard. He's very smart. He's very accurate. He could definitely help himself in the Senior Bowl environment where he's removed from his dominant roster helping him. But, he's very limited physically. His arm is average. His mobility is non-existent. I mean, those things are true of Tom Brady too, but there's a very, very long list of disappointing NFL QBs who fit that criteria and only one Tom Brady.

This may sound weird but it's true....in terms of averaged arm QBs Brady's is the best of them. Stated otherwise...in regards to having an average arm Brady's is closer to having an above average arm than having a weak arm.

Edited by Fox007

57 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

we have a better roster 

I know you're not wasting your breath on the mouth breathers but this barely touches on why the starting QB on a team that lost to your team doesn't' mean they aren't a good QB. Those new recruits Zod was rejoicing about are just barely above the ones we lost lol.

Edited by Fox007

10 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

I wouldn’t hate it. As long as we still have #8, we can trade back and grab a handfull of picks. Just make sure to grab a young QB somewhere in there to try and groom. The 

Yep. If we make this move, we are definitely trading back and picking that second back up. We’d probably move into the teens and go into next year with two twos. 

Ideally, we’d be picking late teens to early twenties next year and we already know, by looking at Seattle’s history of trading back in that position, how our GM feels about picks in that range. 

9 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Stafford isn't even that good. He's Teddy Bridgewater with a stronger arm.

That's a lie! I would take Stafford over the majority of QBs playing right now, except 3 or 4 of the best! How many games did we lose by one score in 2020?

Matthew Stafford has led the NFL in game winning drives three separate times during his decade plus as the Detroit Lions quarterback. His ever-growing collection of fourth quarter comebacks (28) is well beyond his years, and ranks among some of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game.May 19, 2020

• Pie 1

I'm on board with throwing our hat in the ring for Stafford at the right cost. My biggest issue with this proposed trade is that you don't know if Stafford will stay healthy. Say he's out more than half of the year and we stumble to another 5 wins and have to give Detroit a top 10 pick next year. If you can guarantee his health, I would say it's not unreasonable although more than I prefer. But you have to think in a weakened NFC south and the return of McCaffrey, we get at least 8 wins and the 1st rounder probably won't be better than 16 or so. That's just a big if given his recent injury history.

13 hours ago, t96 said:

No fuging chance I'd give up next year's 1st for Stafford. Maybe our 2nd rounders this year and next year if they also take Teddy.

You wouldn’t give up a 1st year defender toward the end of the first round to be able to pair a 4000 yard passer with 5 good years left and CMC? 

You can’t just look at the black and white of “1st round pick for 32 yo QB.” You have to look at....we have a stud RB and very good skill players for the next 3-4 years. Then that’s it. How do we capitalize on that now. 

We made our bed with CMC. He’s the cornerstone unless someone is trading for him. He has probably a 3-4 year prime window. If you don’t do everything possible to either trade him (in a deal for Watson for instance) or build around him....then it’s just wasted cap room. 

5 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I'm on board with throwing our hat in the ring for Stafford at the right cost. My biggest issue with this proposed trade is that you don't know if Stafford will stay healthy. Say he's out more than half of the year and we stumble to another 5 wins and have to give Detroit a top 10 pick next year. If you can guarantee his health, I would say it's not unreasonable although more than I prefer. But you have to think in a weakened NFC south and the return of McCaffrey, we get at least 8 wins and the 1st rounder probably won't be better than 16 or so. That's just a big if given his recent injury history.

I think you nailed it with your first point, it has to be at the right cost.  We can't overpay for Stafford.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

You wouldn’t give up a 1st year defender toward the end of the first round to be able to pair a 4000 yard passer with 5 good years left and CMC? 

You can’t just look at the black and white of “1st round pick for 32 yo QB.” You have to look at....we have a stud RB and very good skill players for the next 3-4 years. Then that’s it. How do we capitalize on that now. 

We made our bed with CMC. He’s the cornerstone unless someone is trading for him. He has probably a 3-4 year prime window. If you don’t do everything possible to either trade him (in a deal for Watson for instance) or build around him....then it’s just wasted cap room. 

No most people on here want to give CMC away and all of our draft picks for one qb. But hey that’s the huddle for ya.

That is a poo deal. This is smoke. If we don't draft a QB knowing damn well we are in rebuild status I'm done with the team for a while. 

Paying Teddy who we can't cut, only to then trade pick 40, and a future 1st for a QB at the end of his career, plus he's making premium money. 

We cannot be this stupid...

13 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Folks, Stafford is a starting NFL QB who would be worth a first rounder--heck, we are going to use the first rounder on a QB if we do not get him.

We know we can get 3 or 4 years out of Stafford; based on the fact that he has not been hit as much.  Get Stafford, draft a LT and a TE, and sign a G in free agency--I think that could be instant success.

Stafford/Bridgewater/PJ is a good group.  Draft a QB in 2022 or 2023.  Worth a first rounder.

If you expect us to be good we're picking at the bottom of the rounds...this is not how you set up sustained success. 

Draft the QB this year, avoid paying the premium QB money for 4-5 years as you get the 5th year option, and BUILD UP THE TEAM AROUND THE QB. 

We are cash strapped till 2022, we can't afford to have TWO 20M+ QB's on the roster, what is wrong with you people!?

2 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

That is a poo deal. This is smoke. If we don't draft a QB knowing damn well we are in rebuild status I'm done with the team for a while. 

Paying Teddy who we can't cut, only to then trade pick 40, and a future 1st for a QB at the end of his career, plus he's making premium money. 

We cannot be this stupid...

So since we won’t be able to get a QB at 8 because we won too many games, you would be happy with rolling with Teddy 2yds for another 5 wins and be in same spot. Sounds like a great idea SMH