• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading Up to 3 or 5 - A Look Into the Potential Cost**

SetfreexX

I think one of these three are on our roster in 2021-22 as the heir apparent to Teddy's starting spot (in no particular order) -

Darnold

Lance

Newman

• I think Watson will gut us of assets and we won't be able to improve the roster enough around him in his prime. 
  • I think Stafford doesn't make sense for us and the #8 is too high of a pick to give up for him
  • Wentz is damaged goods
  • Jimmy G is overpayed and mediocre
  • Rodgers ain't going anywhere
  • Trubisky & Winston doesn't move the needle anymore than Teddy B did, IMO
  • Dak goes back to Dallas and can't afford him

56 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Bigger picture the QB rookie contract is EXTREMELY valuable as it is a fixed rate, that allows you to have cap available at other KEY positions for the up 5 years. It's how PHI / LAR were able to build SB capable rosters around Wentz, and Goff.

Yea I think QB contracts are getting out of control- wish the league would implement MAX contracts for the position because it's such a cath-22...hopefully the QB we just drafted is a baller, 2 years later: crap this dudes a baller, now we have to pay him 200m. 

Regardless, not a fan of trading up this year. Unless DW gets dealt to the Jets, we're probably looking at the #3 QB if we try to leap frog Detroit. I just think we have way too many holes on our roster to think about pulling that trigger. I'm sketchy on Lance, but I really think it's in the cards for him to fall to 8 and then sit him behind T2G next year. Would rather see us trade back and and continue to build the D/O line. I think '22 is our coming out year regardless of what happens this draft. 

• Pie 1

I believe Carolina will trade down a max of 6 spots.  there are alot of players in that area that could help carolina.  Carolina needs an entire Oline.  No better way to rebuild it then trade down and acquire picks.  Good draft for linemen, qb is a need but no point in drafting one if they will be running for their life all season.  Oline has been ignore for years.  It's time.

• Poo 2

3 minutes ago, chknwing said:

I believe Carolina will trade down a max of 6 spots.  there are alot of players in that area that could help carolina.  Carolina needs an entire Oline.  No better way to rebuild it then trade down and acquire picks.  Good draft for linemen, qb is a need but no point in drafting one if they will be running for their life all season.  Oline has been ignore for years.  It's time.

Really good 2nd round prospects at OT.  I'd prefer to get the QB in the 1st and come back in the 2nd round and get the OT.  Eichenberg and Randunz should be there, possibly Cosmi (not likely) falls to us at #39.  That depends on how some teams view Slater and Leatherwood.  Some BBs have them moving inside to guard.  But, if they are taken as OTs, then Cosmi could slip.  Walker Little will be there as well, but has a looooooong history of injuries.  Sad part is he has the potential.  Plus we've already had one Little on this team at OT that can't stay healthy.

With a QB who is better than TB5, we would have won 7-8 games this year.  We were very competitive.  Surprisingly so.  Pleasantly so.

But as others have pointed out here, and as I've said in other threads, we cannot afford a veteran QB unless someone takes TB off our hands as part of the deal.  Which would make it even less attractive to us because everyone now CLEARLY sees who TB is.

We really need to find our QB this offseason, because our draft capital is as high as it's likely to be, and the draft class is as good as it gets for a QB.  If we don't take a shot at 8, we won't get a QB.  There are just too many teams that need one.

It seems increasingly likely that the top 4 will be gone before we're on the clock at 8.  So group think is to trade back.  Well, first of all that requires a partner.  And not just any partner.  One who still allows us to get a QB.

Here's the thing:

People are saying that Mac Jones and Kyle Trask are second round prospects.  Maybe so in a normal year.  But both the need and the talent are great this year.  Denver at 9 is done with Drew Lock.  Do you see them passing on Trask?  Big arm, pocket passer . . . that's a John Elway QB.  Coach Hoodie is at 15 and he just ditched Cam.  You think Mac Jones gets by him?  Jones is a quintessential Bellichek QB.  If either of those guys survive you've got WTF, da Bears and the Ponies from 19 to 21 who ALL need a QB.

There's going to be six QB's gone in round one this year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see four more through the draft.  How do you trade down and get a QB?  It's looking grim man.  If we want a QB from this draft, we're gonna need to stick where we are and do our homework.

If we don't get one in the draft this year, we're going to be picking over the scrap pile post draft for guys like Fitzmagic, Jacoby Brissett, Mitch Trubisky and Andy Dalton.  Color me uninspired.

We are in a really crap situation here.  Thanks Ron, on so many levels.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:06 PM, Soul Rebel said:

I think one of these three are on our roster in 2021-22 as the heir apparent to Teddy's starting spot (in no particular order) -

Darnold

Lance

Newman

• I think Watson will gut us of assets and we won't be able to improve the roster enough around him in his prime. 
  • I think Stafford doesn't make sense for us and the #8 is too high of a pick to give up for him
  • Wentz is damaged goods
  • Jimmy G is overpayed and mediocre
  • Rodgers ain't going anywhere
  • Trubisky & Winston doesn't move the needle anymore than Teddy B did, IMO
  • Dak goes back to Dallas and can't afford him

After watching Newman in the Senior Bowl, the only way I'd take him is as an undrafted free agent.

• Pie 1

On 1/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, TheProcess said:

In this scenario the 3rd pick is your only option unless the Bengals owner finally changes his mind. That guy refuses to trade picks, and has made it known publicly that he despises the idea.

Mike Brown trades draft picks quite often. He doesn't trade players, picks are always up for grabs.

https://stripehype.com/2021/01/23/bengals-trade-back-far-more-often-than-up-in-nfl-draft/

• Pie 1