• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated QB odds and Outlooks

ncfan

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Dane Brugler thinks Matt Rhule will find Mac Jones intriguing because of his intangibles. And it's worth remembering that Rhule attempted to recruit Jones to Baylor.

On the flipside, when he was asked what he looked for in a quarterback, new GM Scott Fitterer listed arm strength as one of his top characteristics.

Could be some discussion there...

Lance has a howitzer for an arm

Someone will probably fall, but we have to also like that QB. 

If not, I hope we trade back, grab another 1st for next year, and pick a LT or CB this year. 

Next year we would have (2) 1st to start negotiations to move up for Spencer Rattler. Hopefully there would be a willing trade partner.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Lance has a howitzer for an arm

Yes he does, coupled with nimble scrambling skills.  Dude is an uncut diamond.  He's going to need some work, but the end result should be astonishing.  I liken him to a poor man's Mahomes and if I'm right, would certainly take a notch below Patrick's output.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Dane Brugler thinks Matt Rhule will find Mac Jones intriguing because of his intangibles. And it's worth remembering that Rhule attempted to recruit Jones to Baylor.

On the flipside, when he was asked what he looked for in a quarterback, new GM Scott Fitterer listed arm strength as one of his top characteristics.

Could be some discussion there...

I hope that Rhule learned this year that there are physical prerequisites to playing the position in the NFL. Being smart, being accurate, working hard off the field... it only goes so far. At the end of the day if you can't make the throws that's a wrap. You can't try to build a team around the guy.

Let's keep a few things in mind when looking at who we might pick and who those in front of us might pick.

• Who is in front of us may well change by the time that pick comes around. 
  • While we generally talk about the "big four" QBs, it is very likely teams don't like all four of them.  For whatever reason, maybe they don't like Wilson, Fields, or Lance.  If you are Detroit at #7 and you don't like one of them, and the other three are gone by the time your pick comes, you aren't likely to pick the one you don't like.  You might become part of the first bullet, or you fill another hole and wait.
  • QB needy teams, whether they are ahead of us in the draft order or not, may not be addressing that this year.  Jacksonville will.  There is some talk the Jets want to give Darnold another shot under somebody not named Gase.  They have some big holes other than QB they may opt to fill.  Miami has been mocked to pick Sewell or somebody else, feeling that Tua is not a lost cause (or maybe they address that via FA).
  • Somebody ahead of us or wanting to jump ahead of us is going to wind up with Stafford.  If Watson leaves Houston, one of them is going to wind up with him.  While Detroit is already ahead of us, they are probably looking QB one way or another.  Houston might have a hard time moving up unless it involves Watt.
  • We don't know what our own evaluation is of the "big four."  We may not like one of them, which makes waiting or trading down and picking Jones more realistic.
  • Our QB depth chart is basically one deep and has been that way for a couple of seasons.  We may not like the one that is level that is there, but given where we are in this process and that fact, it makes a guy like Jones even more appealing.....particularly if Rhule and company like him.  Same might apply to Lance.  We have more than one QB to replace in one manner or another.  In two seasons, our QB depth chart could be three completely different names.

There are a lot of variables in this equation, both for us and everybody else.

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yes he does, coupled with nimble scrambling skills.  Dude is an uncut diamond.  He's going to need some work, but the end result should be astonishing.  I liken him to a poor man's Mahomes and if I'm right, would certainly take a notch below Patrick's output.

He has been working with a private qb coach since the fall.  I want wilson then lance.  

Tell me again why we won against Washington?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Let's keep a few things in mind when looking at who we might pick and who those in front of us might pick.

• Who is in front of us may well change by the time that pick comes around. 
  • While we generally talk about the "big four" QBs, it is very likely teams don't like all four of them.  For whatever reason, maybe they don't like Wilson, Fields, or Lance.  If you are Detroit at #7 and you don't like one of them, and the other three are gone by the time your pick comes, you aren't likely to pick the one you don't like.  You might become part of the first bullet, or you fill another hole and wait.
  • QB needy teams, whether they are ahead of us in the draft order or not, may not be addressing that this year.  Jacksonville will.  There is some talk the Jets want to give Darnold another shot under somebody not named Gase.  They have some big holes other than QB they may opt to fill.  Miami has been mocked to pick Sewell or somebody else, feeling that Tua is not a lost cause (or maybe they address that via FA).
  • Somebody ahead of us or wanting to jump ahead of us is going to wind up with Stafford.  If Watson leaves Houston, one of them is going to wind up with him.  While Detroit is already ahead of us, they are probably looking QB one way or another.  Houston might have a hard time moving up unless it involves Watt.
  • We don't know what our own evaluation is of the "big four."  We may not like one of them, which makes waiting or trading down and picking Jones more realistic.
  • Our QB depth chart is basically one deep and has been that way for a couple of seasons.  We may not like the one that is level that is there, but given where we are in this process and that fact, it makes a guy like Jones even more appealing.....particularly if Rhule and company like him.  Same might apply to Lance.  We have more than one QB to replace in one manner or another.  In two seasons, our QB depth chart could be three completely different names.

There are a lot of variables in this equation, both for us and everybody else.

Agree with a lot of what you are saying here.  The 'chicken little's' here thinking: Trevor#1-Jags, Wilson#2-Jets, Lance#3-Lions (via trade) and Fields#4-Falcons is simply nonsense.  Like we are just going to flapp'n in the wind at #8 with our pants around our ankles.  I can promise people, it will not go down like that.

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Yes he [Lance] does, coupled with nimble scrambling skills.  Dude is an uncut diamond.  He's going to need some work, but the end result should be astonishing.  I liken him to a poor man's Mahomes and if I'm right, would certainly take a notch below Patrick's output.

I am liking Lance more and more. Will be very happy if we get him.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Flames 1