• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jamie Newman Turning Heads

slumdogmillionaire

I said when it was announced we were doing the Senior Bowl that I wanted to draft Newman regardless, and that still stands.  I dont care who we get this offseason, vet or no vet (I still want Watson), but I definitely want to draft Newman.  I'm not as locked in on college football as some, but I watch quite a bit and feel like I know talent when I see it, and I saw Newman a few times at Wake Forest and was legit amazed, and surprised he wasn't talked about more.  Then I kind of lost track of him and then looked him up last year and saw he transferred to Georgia and sat out, so that all seemed kind of weird, but dude is legit.  I think he could be Dak or Russ all over again.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, DeaconPanther said:

Deacon fan here (obviously by the avatar) and of course, I loved Newman. Great arm, good touch on the deep ball, good decision making when it comes to run vs. pass in Wake's very unique RPO style offense.

My only knock on Jamie most of the time was trying to do too much. Many would argue that's because he didn't have a lot of weapons around him but I don't agree with that. Much like Newman, Sage Surratt is going to be a 2nd/3rd round pick more than likely and that was his #1 target.

I think Newman has the tools to be a good NFL QB if he can reign in some of his questionable throws. In terms of physical size and measurables, they are all there.

I did see a really good analysis of him from a mechanics standpoint, and quite often, his footwork was a problem.... his feel for the pocket, stride, angles, etc. 

I'm sure others have pointed out already, but Newman does seem to compare similarly to Cam, and has some of the same pain points as Cam had coming in. 

7 hours ago, ncfan said:

That's it. He's a scrub. 

There has never, EVER been a QB to throw back to back interceptions in practice.  We should stay away from this guy as best as possible.  (sarcasm)

I don't know much about this guy but they say he has all the tools and is mobile.  The biggest attribute I would lean on is he's very smart.   If you have a guy that is smart it means he can learn from his mistakes.

Every QB in this draft, outside of Lawrence, has question marks.  If Newman were to fall to us in round 2 or possibly 3.  It would be worth a shot.

That said, if we were to draft Newman I do not see us getting rid of Bridgewater until 2022.