• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gamestop stock situation - anyone else in on this?

KSpan

https://gizmodo.com/reddit-s-anarchic-investors-to-hedge-funds-i-hope-the-1846135080

I was just about to post this.  One of the top comments points out of ridiculous the entirety of the stock market is and how we're all dumb for giving our money to companies to invest on our behalf.

But finding out that it's putting leverage on a billionaire makes me smile.  My hope though is for the actual employees of GameStop.  Not sure what good can come for them, but I just hope for their betterment.

• Pie 1

I am shorting through puts hoping that the market becomes rational again but I'm not convinced it will. If it does I will make bank.

Basically a mob has said forget earnings we determine what the value of a stock is. We buy it which means people who are short will have to buy it (short squeeze) and people who have to own it because of hedges will have to buy it (gamma squeeze). So if I buy one share two other people will have to buy a share too. And if we all mobfund this it will take off.

My question is is it sustainable? It doesn't seem like it but this could represent a watershed event in how trading is done. 

I think once the mob realizes paper gains are paper gains until you sell this will crash. 

• Pie 2

kicking myself for not getting in earlier, bit the bullet around 300 and probably going to regret it but it feels good to put the pressure on the hedge funds. can already see them crying and reaching out to their establishment shills to shame the little guys. these fugers crashed the economy in 08/09 and got bailed out but they cant stand a little heat from retail investors and now want to change the rules so only they can get enriched by cheating the system.

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

35 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

I am shorting through puts hoping that the market becomes rational again but I'm not convinced it will. If it does I will make bank.

Basically a mob has said forget earnings we determine what the value of a stock is. We buy it which means people who are short will have to buy it (short squeeze) and people who have to own it because of hedges will have to buy it (gamma squeeze). So if I buy one share two other people will have to buy a share too. And if we all mobfund this it will take off.

My question is is it sustainable? It doesn't seem like it but this could represent a watershed event in how trading is done. 

I think once the mob realizes paper gains are paper gains until you sell this will crash. 

Agreed on all points. The short vs float is what makes this so interesting and could seemingly have a massive ripple as funds adjust to make sure they aren't caught in a similar situation in the future.

5 hours ago, CRA said:

I'm about to buy some Blockbuster stock!  Come on huddle. Let's get real crazy!!

but in all seriousness, watch how fast the government can make moves when they actually care about something. 

Ditto.

it’s all good, fair, and completely dictated by the free market when some 1 percenter hedge fund people and corporations are stacking the deck but when the average Joe finds away to win at the card table - OH HELL NAW we got to change the regulations and rules. USA USA USA

• Pie 2