• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gamestop stock situation - anyone else in on this?

KSpan

54 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

Did this happen? I haven't been paying attention.

I think that was always an extreme scenario, but had they not interfered with retail last Thursday things may very well have exploded since it was in arm's reach of $500 a share pre-market. At this point though I think the main circumstances driving that surge have been mitigated (legitimately, illegitimately, or somewhere in between) and while some volatile short-term value can still be had, enough time has passed that the main at-risk parties have sufficiently hedged. 

Edited by KSpan

I was joking. I bought a shed load of puts and have enjoyed watching it dive. When something tells you what they are believe them. I was told that $GME was being artificially (severely) overvalued for no reason other than a protest. Which I think is great but I have no emotion in the game.

Moleman told me it was going to $500 but couldn't articulate why? Which is what has been happening on WSB. Oh well.

18 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

I was joking. I bought a shed load of puts and have enjoyed watching it dive. When something tells you what they are believe them. I was told that $GME was being artificially (severely) overvalued for no reason other than a protest. Which I think is great but I have no emotion in the game.

Moleman told me it was going to $500 but couldn't articulate why? Which is what has been happening on WSB. Oh well.

With respect to valuation I think there was a tangible driver there beyond sentiment but yeah, that driver was by nature fleeting. Those funds got caught but were not going to sit there and be bled in perpetuity.

KOSS was another example of the insanity last week. Wish I would have bought into that one for a fast flip. 

• Pie 1

Speaking as someone not entirely knowledgable on this, but 13B to a bunch of hedgefunders doesn't amount to a lot.  Who's to say WSB was fed some information regarding Gamestop in order to artificially inflate the price (other hedgefunders/or same) in order to create a greater fall for shorting.  

WSB manipulated by the same people they are thinking they are hurting.  

13 hours ago, Mol3m4n said:

Squeeze will happen, just waiting for the hedge fund to actually bite the bullet. Short ladder attacks have happened for days. Very little volume is being moved. 

The biggest gains were last week. There may be some more mini rallys but there's no way that the investors on the short side will be anywhere near the position they got caught in, or at the very least they're sure going to have a lot more hedging, and the retail side has taken too many losses to recapture the momentum necessary. Call me cynical but we now also know that shenanigans can (will?) occur to short-circuit the biggest happenings. Was fascinating to watch while it was happening though.

27 minutes ago, Whatev said:

Speaking as someone not entirely knowledgable on this, but 13B to a bunch of hedgefunders doesn't amount to a lot.  Who's to say WSB was fed some information regarding Gamestop in order to artificially inflate the price (other hedgefunders/or same) in order to create a greater fall for shorting.  

At this point it's sure possible but the original run-up was IMO lightning in a bottle, a perfect storm of over-extension by short-sellers on an undervalued stock getting caught up in an unprecedented wave of retail market participation after the abnormally large gains went mainstream. I'm not sure there was really a single misinformation campaign that could have effectively kicked that whole thing off but folks no doubt found way sot manipulate and capitalize. 

3 hours ago, Whatev said:

there is an article in the WSJ about a hedge fund that made nearly a billion dollars (700 million) on the Gamestop event.