• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Mac jones

Beerfacedlegend

Just now, Agent Blue said:

If he has elite pre snap reads, decision making, pocket awareness and accuracy he can be super successful in the NFL as his arm is strong enough. 

How does one determine he has average pre snap reads vs elite? I don’t believe he has elite pre snap reads. He isn’t exactly under pressure to make reads. Count to 2.5 and Smith will have yards of separation on his man. If not turn and dump off to Harris who will outrun or truck college defenders for easy yards. And he had the best line in football protecting him. 

It would have made sense to play in the Senior Bowl because it would be the first time he lines up with his offensive talent equal to the other teams defensive talent and be away from Saban. Instead he got tapped on the leg and we will never see him before the draft in live games without the best talent in college football carrying him. 

Rhule and company had a week to get to know whatever they wanted to about Jones. They publicly raved about him, though that doesn't necessarily mean they'd draft him at number eight.

The feeling it gives me though is that if they do (or don't) I'm probably gonna trust that decision.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

most scouting reports rave about those things but question his athleticism and arm strength. 

OK.  I'm just not certain you can fully evaluate those things given the offense around him this year.  

In any case, what you are describing is a Kirk Cousins type QB, and if we're drafting a QB at 8, I want a guy who is better than that.  You need a guy that get you over the hump, and as much as I like Kirk Cousins--I actually think he's a bit underrated--he isn't that guy IMO.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule and company had a week to get to know whatever they wanted to about Jones. They publicly raved about him, though that doesn't necessarily mean they'd draft him at number eight.

The feeling it gives me though is that if they do (or don't) I'm probably gonna trust that decision.

Rhule was generally positive in his remarks about most of the players he was asked about. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Just now, trueblade said:

Rhule was generally positive in his remarks about most of the players he was asked about. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Rhule also tried to recruit Jones to Baylor before he went to...a larger school.

I think Rhule is genuinely high on Jones, and when he gushes about him I think he means it.

All that doesn't necessarily mean he'd draft him at #8 though.

• Pie 1

The thing I take away from pre-Draft talk is how interesting it must be to be in the War Room.

You look at the wide variety of opinions / comparisons on each player. You can't just dismiss that as some moron on a message board (you know who you are 😉) when the guy you're talking to is a 20 year NFL Scouting veteran.

It's a wonder any picks get made on time. 

I wouldn’t pick Jones in the first round personally but he will go there.  

Average arm talent, sorely lacks athleticism, bloated stats from being surrounded by elite talent and a talented OC, 1 year wonder, DUI on his record, average size...I mean he has a ton of negatives.  

Compared to someone like Mitch Trubisky he loses in pretty much every area.  It is not a close call either.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I'm just telling you what every profile and article about him says. It's the common thread to any discussion of him so therefore it's what he's known for.

Screenshot_20210131-103952_Chrome.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/scouting-trey-lance-north-dakota-state-qb-similar-to-andrew-luck

Do not get caught up in completion percentage when evaluating accuracy. Lance completed nearly 67 percent of his passes, which is impressive, but the tape showed he was even more accurate than that number indicates. His ball placement is excellent. He really trusts his eyes and throws with anticipation, which allows his receivers better opportunities to run after the catch. He can layer the ball in the middle of the field (over linebackers and under safeties) and he excels on bucket throws (deep balls over the top).