• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Lone Ranger: What to do with Matt Paradis?

WarPanthers89

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Love this---awesome perspective.  I was just posting on another thread about the OLiNE and some dork (nctarheelsomething) criticized me and told me, "Our line was OK--we do not need to build the OL--maybe a free agent G or C"  At that time, my dumbass alert senses were throbbing, so I blocked him to avoid future dumbassery. 

Paradis making $10m is funny---and he might just make it because there are so many other needs. I see us drafting 3 OL, signing a free agent, and locking up Moton---maybe, depending on what we do in free agency at QB.  Thanks for this--good perspective.

10 million is his cap number, but I am not sure he is actually making that.  If I understand the way it works, his base salary is around 8 million, and the rest of the cap hit is prorated bonus that he was already paid, but is counted in 2021 for cap purposes.  According to this, he is the 12th highest paid center in the NFL.  A little higher than he should be perhaps, but not terrible. 

https://overthecap.com/position/center/

• Pie 1

Question isn’t what to do with him, you have no choice he plays. By why do we have no choice? That’s the question we should be asking.

Questions is what do you do for his position in the future. He’s admitted that his injury is still affecting him.

The problem is the past FO never kept oline talent coming in, completely neglecting it or should I say they were inept at addressing it...which is worse. So here we are a few million away from the cap with, literally a nonexistent oline.

This FO needs to figure out how to put together an oline for the future, which is why signing Moton is so important.

Also 10.5 million for an average to below average C who still has injury issues is quite a bit of money.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

35 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Prefer to replace in the draft. Humphrey, Meyers, Dickerson, Jackson, Meinery all look good. If not through the draft, I know Linsley from Green Bay and Andrews from the Patriots are free agents.  Like i said, if possible. You always look to improve where you can, and center could definitely be improved 

Agreed. To me, the best plan is to draft a center high and play them at G the first year (we may be forced to do this because we have so many holes) then slide them over when Paradis is gone next year. It is going to be very interesting to see how we replace so many positions in one offseason with very little depth on the bench (no one has really proven that they can handle the NFL- Little or that they can stay healthy- Daley)

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Paradis is not expensive.  He played well too.

10 million for a below average to average center.  However, you do not want 2 rookies playing side by side in the NFL on the OL, so you are probably right.  I am looking rookie LT, vet LG, Paradis, Rookie RG, Moton (hopefully).

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 4

When the rest of your line are free agents you don't jettison your only remaining starter to save $4.9 million. It will be difficult to replace him in free agency for that much without dumpster diving, and spending an entire draft on offensive line when we have a half dozen other needs isn't ideal either. Plus a line with 3 rookies is going to have major growing pains. I agree with those saying to draft an interior lineman, start him at guard and consider sliding him to C in 2022.

Also what can't be overstated is that Paradis was very solid last year. He was a nightmare in 2019, but it seems he's recovered well from his injury. Look at Daryl Williams. He was an atrocious tackle for us coming off his knee injury and turned into a decent starting right tackle for Buffalo this year. I guess coming back from a horrific injury takes time. Whoda thunk?

• Pie 4