• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade proposal via ESPN

Zod

As I read it, this is nothing but ESPN's clickbait idea of a possible Panthers' offer.  So all this lengthy debate as to its advisability is just idle talk.

That being said, it's fun sometimes to just talk idly.

This package would not be my first offer, but if it came to this, or no deal, I'd do it, and squeal with joy as I left the room.

There is a vast difference in a known quantity (and Watson is probably the highest known quantity of any young QB to ever want a trade) and an unknown draft pick -- whatever the position.  But for an exceptional talent, who's proven his abilities at the highest level (not just SEC) at the most important position.  This is not a pig in a poke.  This is a poke full of diamonds.

As others have said, keeping CMac, Burns, Moore, and our other young talent, and off-loading that Teddy contract -- just icing on the cake.

Dare to be great.  Go get him.

13 minutes ago, onmyown said:

People don’t seem to realize the Texans FO will have some say and Miami and Jets will offer a much better deal.

I've been lead to believe Watson has a trade clause that gives him the ultimate say in where he is going. So unless this is false info Miami and NY can offer all they want but if Watson doesn't want to play there it isn't happening. 

3 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

IMAGINE  a negotiation scenario between David Tepper and Cal fugging McNair. Tepper might fleece him for Watson for 2 firsts and Donte Jackson.

Honestly not sure I'd call that a huge fleece depending on the circumstances surrounding Watson's interest in other teams. If he only wants to go to Carolina and his 100% solidly locked into that then that would actually be a reasonable return for the Texans I think. #8 overall has a lot of value, another 1st and then Donte who despite the inconsistency is a young high potential player at an extremely important position.

In that scenario we keep the star RB and two 1000 yard WRs, plus our young stars on defense who proved they have huge upside and have bright futures. Offensive lineman can be found all throughout the draft and FA, same with defensive players. Get a grip, yall. 

In that scenario we even get draft picks in return to help flexibility for draft day trades! What isn't clicking here? Yall just don't wanna take risks. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Rockahype said:

I've been lead to believe Watson has a trade clause that gives him the ultimate say in where he is going. So unless this is false info Miami and NY can offer all they want but if Watson doesn't want to play there it isn't happening. 

That’s not how a clause works. It must be mutual. That trade clause also gives the Texans the ability to not trade him - period. No matter how much he wants out. Watson must work with the Texans in order to be traded and most likely provide a reasonable list of teams. The Texans aren’t simply going to take one single option and whatever the lowest bidder is willing to give because Watson says so. What’s the point in that? They don’t HAVE to trade him. They’d probably go back to Watson and say they’re not trading him because his ONE team won’t give reasonable capital and he’ll need to provide a list of teams.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? You think the Texans are seriously just going to say fug what we could get for him let’s let him do whatever he wants for whatever in return lol. 

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

Honestly not sure I'd call that a huge fleece depending on the circumstances surrounding Watson's interest in other teams. If he only wants to go to Carolina and his 100% solidly locked into that then that would actually be a reasonable return for the Texans I think. #8 overall has a lot of value, another 1st and then Donte who despite the inconsistency is a young high potential player at an extremely important position.

Two firsts and a corner for a star QB is a fleece