• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade proposal via ESPN

Zod

13 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Two firsts and a corner for a star QB is a fleece

If he takes a hard stance that he will only play for the Carolina Panthers and he'll hold out until he can do that, what choice do they have? Call his bluff and screw themselves and get nothing just to spite him? I doubt that'll happen but it's not impossible.

3 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

in before people handwringing over losing 3 1st rounders. teams are trading 2 these days and then some for secondary players. a top 5 qb in his prime is easily worth 3.

And I'll bet you'll be crying each of the next 3 draft when we would be in position to draft high and get a young stud, but wait we don't have a first round pick

• Poo 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

And deshauns contract this team will sink ever more absolutely not I’m all for getting big names but I’m not giving up 3 first round picks for Watson . I’d give it up for mahomes or josh Allen but not Watson , he’ll I’d do that to trade up for Lawrence 

Hmmmmmmmm

Edited by ImaginaryKev

6 minutes ago, onmyown said:

That’s not how a clause works. It must be mutual. That trade clause also gives the Texans the ability to not trade him - period. No matter how much he wants out. Watson must work with the Texans in order to be traded and most likely provide a reasonable list of teams. The Texans aren’t simply going to take one single option and whatever the lowest bidder is willing to give because Watson says so. What’s the point in that? They don’t HAVE to trade him. They’d probably go back to Watson and say they’re not trading him because his ONE team won’t give reasonable capital and he’ll need to provide a list of teams.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? You think the Texans are seriously just going to say fug what we could get for him let’s let him do whatever he wants for whatever in return lol. 

I understand how the clause works. At the end of the day Watson and his agent hold the power. Yes the Texans could decide not to trade him, but realistically what are they going to do? You honestly think there is any way he stays in Houston? Have you ever seen a marque player stay with a team after tensions publicly escalate to this point? It's very realistic that Houston will have no option but to accept the best deal Watson allows or risk having to release him with nothing to show for it. 

8 minutes ago, t96 said:

If he takes a hard stance that he will only play for the Carolina Panthers and he'll hold out until he can do that, what choice do they have? Call his bluff and screw themselves and get nothing just to spite him? I doubt that'll happen but it's not impossible.

There hasn't been any trustworthy reports that this is the case or likely to become the case though. Most "trustworthy" rumors indicate that surprisingly the Jets are his preferred destination. There have been some whispers that he might be open to the idea of Carolina, but nothing that indicates he's ready to take a stand and try to force that move. Sounds to me like he's probably given the Texans an idea of the teams he'd like to go to or at least the teams he will refuse and he's at least somewhat open to multiple options. What could give us an advantage here is that we're an NFC team.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There hasn't been any trustworthy reports that this is the case or likely to become the case though. Most "trustworthy" rumors indicate that surprisingly the Jets are his preferred destination. There have been some whispers that he might be open to the idea of Carolina, but nothing that indicates he's ready to take a stand and try to force that move. Sounds to me like he's probably given the Texans an idea of the teams he'd like to go to or at least the teams he will refuse and he's at least somewhat open to multiple options. What could give us an advantage here is that we're an NFC team.

I haven't disputed any of that -- I said "I doubt that'll happen but it's not impossible" in regards to Watson forcing his way here.

6 minutes ago, Rockahype said:

I understand how the clause works. At the end of the day Watson and his agent hold the power. Yes the Texans could decide not to trade him, but realistically what are they going to do? You honestly think there is any way he stays in Houston? Have you ever seen a marque player stay with a team after tensions publicly escalate to this point? It's very realistic that Houston will have no option but to accept the best deal Watson allows or risk having to release him with nothing to show for it. 

Both sides will have to work together. You think Watson is going to risk sitting on the bench the rest of his career because he didn’t give a reasonable list of teams the Texans can get capital for? He is the one who signed the contract and no he’s the one wanting out. The Texas have leverage in the fact they could keep Watson from continuing is career. Houston does have that option and leverage. Again it’s a two way street, both parties will need to benefit. Watson does not hold all the power if he did he would only give the single team he wants to play for most and the Texans would have to accept it, and that team, being his only choice could basically offer pennies for him but he doesn’t have all the Power because the Texans don’t and probably won’t accept that.