• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Nick Caserio: Texans have “zero interest” in trading Deshaun Watson

WarPanthers89

53 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson wants out. The Texans addressed that situation during the press conference introducing David Culley as the team’s next head coach.

G.M. Nick Caserio, before taking questions, reiterated the team’s commitment to Watson.

“Zero interest in trading the player,” Caserio said.

When asked by John McClain of the Houston Chronicle about the plan for salvaging the relationship with Watson, Caserio said that the “best way is to communicate and be honest and be forthright.”

Of course, before they can communicate with Watson, they need to get Watson to be willing to communicate. If he refuses to talk to them, how can they salvage the relationship?

The Texans clearly want to take the high road with Watson. If the high road doesn’t work, they’ll need to decide whether to take the low road or whether to give him what he wants.

For now, it’s entirely possible that the Texans will entertain trade offers, even if they have “zero interest” in trading Watson (once upon a time, the Vikings had “no intent” to trade Percy Harvin). Eventually, someone could make the Texans an offer they can’t refuse.

The question then will be whether they still find a way to refuse it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/29/nick-caserio-texans-have-zero-interest-in-trading-deshaun-watson/

307BBF8D-BBCA-4976-8B76-8E1828DEDA26.jpeg

Uh huh....just like the Giants were never going to trade OBJ, or like the Vikings were never going to trade Diggs, or the litany of other situations just like this where the organization says one thing, then turns around and trades the player anyways...

Just now, joemac said:

Uh huh....just like the Giants were never going to trade OBJ, or like the Vikings were never going to trade Diggs, or the litany of other situations just like this where the organization says one thing, then turns around and trades the player anyways...

None of those guys were a franchise quarterback.

And none of the owners involved were Cal McNair.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

and some older guy will get worse or retire, which will offset the young guys this year, there will always be a need for QBs.  Some years the net change might be al little less than others but either way there will always be a need for QBs.

If they trade him now its not going to be because they think it will be less next year, its simply because they want the assets now or to avoid drama.  

Yeah, guys like Brady and Big Ben could retire at any time. I think Rodgers and Ryan will stick around a few more seasons. Overall the league is getting a lot younger at QB. 

This is the most QB needy teams I have seen in a long time. It would be pretty foolish to waste that market for ego reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If there's a fight between McNair's brain and his ego, I'm putting a hundred on the ego.

Hell, I'd put fifty on his spleen.

Agreed, but his ego is going to take a huge hit when he becomes the pariah of Houston over this. 

The man is going to get booed at every home game if he screws Watson over.

• Beer 1

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Oh the longer this drags on, the lower the price will get. Largely because teams will take QB positions and then be out of the market. 

If Houston was smart, they'd be blowing up the phone of every QB needy team in the NFL. 

None of what you just said makes sense.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's also gonna get booed at every game if he trades him.

gonna get boo'd if Watson is sitting. 

key would be he has to have someone for them to cheer for.   So the deal to get Watson.....has to set that up. 

Why I think the CMC option is good to deal.  You essentially could sell your fanbase on a new start.  Draft a Trey Lance.  Have the best RB in the NFL taking the field.   I mean if they are going to deal Watson....they got to have something they can sell Texan fans on in 2021. 

• Poo 1

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

That’s not the sentiment I’m seeing from their fans. 

The fans are on Watson’s side.

Think that'll stop them if the team is losing without him?

Whether he screws him over or drives him away, he's the villain no matter what.

Hell, even if they reconcile, people are still gonna hate McNair regardless.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

None of those guys were a franchise quarterback.

And none of the owners involved were Cal McNair.

What does that have to do with anything?  Cal McNair is the same guy who traded DeAndre Hopkins for a sack of magic beans just last year.

• Flames 1

I expect Caserio and Culley will be able to talk McNair into a trade. Wouldn't be surprised if they've already done so, but are executing a plan to get the most out of a trade. There simply is no incentive for them to make a trade now - it doesn't help the Texans AT ALL.

By waiting until just before the draft, they can maximize value. They know what they want and expect they'll get it. 

From Caserio/Culley, they'll argue that the right trade not only gets them a likely successor, but with the extra picks, they can get much better in a hurry and at a relatively low cost for the next few years. Deshaun is their golden ticket, if they manage the trade correctly.

In the meantime, I expect there not to be a ton of movement on the QB market UNTIL Watson's fate is decided, meaning, it'll setup to be one of the more exciting drafts. Expect a whole lot of nothing until then.

• Beer 1

Just now, CRA said:

gonna get boo'd if he sits him. 

key would be he has to have someone for them to cheer for.   So the deal to get Watson.....has to set that up. 

The only way they can deal him and still look like winners is if they get an offer so ridiculous it makes people's jaws drop.

And frankly, I don't wanna be the team on the other end of that kinda deal.