• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers confirmed to be in Stafford discussion

Mr. Scot

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we were in that discussion, I gotta think we thought they were trying to fleece us when they told us what we had to beat from the Rams.

Oh wait, y'all serious? That's what they're offering for real?

I don't doubt that we offered first round pick.

But something along that level? Yikes!

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

His skill set is honestly ideal for what we run.

I don't really think he's a bridge either. Most analysts think he's got at least four or five years left in him.

In my thinking process, you have four avenues.

1, trade up in the draft and give up multiple picks for a young 'gamble '

2, roll with teddy and hope for over all improvements

3, give up multiple picks and possibly players for a young highly touted player, with 8-10 years left. Establish instant winning expectations

4, give up a pick, maybe two for an established  vet with the hopes of early success, along high expectations

1 minute ago, La Pantera said:

In my thinking process, you have four avenues.

1, trade up in the draft and give up multiple picks for a young 'gamble '

2, roll with teddy and hope for over all improvements

3, give up multiple picks and possibly players for a young highly touted player, with 8-10 years left. Establish instant winning expectations

4, give up a pick, maybe two for an established  vet with the hopes of early success, along high expectations

From what I've been reading, it sounds like we had pretty strong interest in Stafford.

I'm not at all sure where we go from here.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

From what I've been reading, it sounds like we had pretty strong interest in Stafford.

Keep monitoring the Watson situation, but probably the draft. Outside chance we show some interest in Trubisky, but I really think and hope we're done trying to go the mid-level vet FA route. QB is the one position where you pretty much have to have a stud.

I think we go into the draft planning on being aggressive if we feel the need.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Keep monitoring the Watson situation, but probably the draft. Outside chance we show some interest in Trubisky, but I really think and hope we're done trying to go the mid-level vet FA route. QB is the one position where you pretty much have to have a stud.

Do we really have the capital to do that though?

I wasn't a real big believer in the possibility of getting Watson anyway, but after today I just can't see it. Trubisky? I suppose it's possible if we're interested.

I'm starting to think if Rhule really does believe in Mac Jones (and there's evidence to that effect) he's the guy. Maybe not at #8 but who knows?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah I quoted this before I read the goff/Stafford thread. Imo that was our best 'value' option. Now I think we give up the farm for Watson. Give up the farm for #3 or hope someone falls.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I could see us signing turdbitchki as 3rd and see if he can improve.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wasn't a real big believer in the possibility of getting Watson anyway, but after today I just can't see it. Trubisky? I suppose it's possible if we're interested.

I'm starting to think if Rhule really does believe in Mac Jones (and there's evidence to that effect) he's the guy. Maybe not at #8 but who knows?

I think if he gets duped into that then the Rhule era will be a bust. The QB position is the one position you can't play the "coach 'em up" game. You need elite talent at that position. I really hope the failed Teddy experiment showed them that.

Getting some details filled in now....

Additionally, Schefter confirms that all seven of the teams who were in heavy talks with Detroit offered at least a first round pick, and more.

So yeah, it looks like we were ready to offer #8, plus...

Edited by Mr. Scot

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not even enough capital to pick up the phone. It isn’t realistic any any sense out outside of EA Sports.

You either have your guy at 8 or trade down.

From all I’ve heard from Rhule about trading down, being able to hit on more guys with more picks, and the fact he wanted to due it last year, I truly believe is a QB isn’t there at 8 they’re trading down and either take a late QB or figure it out this year. That also matches a long term plan Rhule wants.

All this FA trade QB talk is nonsense.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think Watson is gonna happen.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Additionally, Schefter confirms that all seven of the teams who were in heavy talks with Detroit offered at least a first round pick, and more.

Stafford takes their team to the next level. Matt has NEVER had any semblance of run game. He's going to kill in that play action based off.

Edited by La Pantera
Sorry for the double quotes

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Meh, could’ve been a next years first.

Still think they weren’t as serious as the other teams and just seeing if they could get him for cheap/feeling out what it’d cost/being ‘involved in every move’ etc.

1 minute ago, La Pantera said:

Stafford takes their team to the next level. Matt has NEVER had any semblance of run game. He's going to kill in that play action based off.

The Rams are definitely built to win now.

Whether they're built to be successful in the long term is a separate question.