• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers confirmed to be in Stafford discussion

Mr. Scot

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would say this...

The fact that we're reported to be in the discussion at what would now be a late stage in things given the news that we've heard would tell me it wasn't just a preliminary inquiry.

The interest sure sounds genuine.

I don't think it's late stage yet, more middle stages. I'd be surprised if we were one of the 2-3 finalists for Stafford. There's still a week before the SB, that is a ton of time for this to move along closer to a deal within the reported timeframe. 

Just now, t96 said:

I don't think it's late stage yet, more middle stages. I'd be surprised if we were one of the 2-3 finalists for Stafford. There's still a week before the SB, that is a ton of time for this to move along closer to a deal within the reported timeframe. 

One week (or less) to go is "late stage" to me.

Throw in Dan Campbell's comment about the talks "heating up".

49 minutes ago, Growl said:

elite QBs can beat good teams

40 minutes ago, countryboi said:

when drew brees was 7-9 three years in a row or aaron rodgers went 6-9-1 did you scream that he was not an elite QB? these teams are more than their QBs its 21 other players out there that need to do their jobs. its disingenuous to judge any of these QBs solely on their record

Deshaun Watson (absolutely an elite QB) won 4 games this year (Jax twice, NE, and Detroit).

A little arithmetic...

Original reports had "a third of the league" contacting the Lions about Stafford. That's probably eleven teams.

Albert Breer's latest word includes seven teams. Specifically, Washington, the Panthers, Patriots, Colts, Bears, 49ers and Rams. He has reservations about the last two, though.

If he's right, it's a five team race, and one of those five teams is a division rival so that's hard to imagine.

In a radio interview earlier in the day, he highlighted Washington and Carolina as strong possibilities.

45 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Just reviewed some stuff from Albert Breer.

Breer puts us "solidly in" the discussion, though he notes we're one of seven teams talking to the Lions right now. Said Lions brass was in Mobile this week and a lot of talk went on down there.

One thing that caught my attention: he takes the idea of Stafford going to the Panthers more seriously than he does him going to the Rams or the 49ers.

That made me 😳

Both of those teams have QBs on bad contracts they cant get around

If they took him....Teddy would be a good bridge QB on a 1 year deal basically 

Edited by Shocker