• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stafford-Goff swap is happening

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

It would be interesting to see what the deal would have looked like. I just don't think it would have been #8 straight up for Stafford. If for some reason it was 8 straight up, then the Lions are dumb for not taking it. The 8th pick this year is more valuable than what they got from the Rams.

We might have insisted they take Teddy. If so that probably ruined the deal 

6 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

It would be interesting to see what the deal would have looked like. I just don't think it would have been #8 straight up for Stafford. If for some reason it was 8 straight up, then the Lions are dumb for not taking it. The 8th pick this year is more valuable than what they got from the Rams.

Possibly. But the Lions have already publicly said they're in full rebuild mode. In that setting, I could see the Rams package as more useful. If you think you're several years from contention, pushing those 1st round picks later when you're ready to make the leap makes sense. Detroit may have decided they need more than 2 top 10 picks to turn the team around. If they see this as a 5 year rebuild, by the time they are ready to compete, those two top 10 picks are suddenly in line for a major extension. Harder to keep the core together. It's also possible their front office isn't as high on the qbs in this draft as other teams. They might've decided they would rather buy super low on Goff and gain ammunition to move up in 2022 or 2023 than pick a qb this year. Not sure any of this went into their thinking but those are ways I could justify it.

Plus there's the unknown value of the Ram's picks. They've given up all their 1st round picks for years. They're primed to implode at some point. If it happens by 2023, that 1st could become super valuable. It's a gamble but who would've expected Houston to have the 3rd worst record this year despite having a healthy Watson in his prime.

So the Rams partially had to do this to make their cap work and Goff's contract (While bad, is basically a two year deal) with a reasonable out in the second year with a dead hit of 15 million. 

I still think the Lions will wait a year to take a QB. They will give Goff his chance this year, if he sucks this year they will take one next year. 

Basically this is amazing news as the Lions almost certainly aren't using 7 on QB now

Edited by SOJA
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Unless they draft one to sit for a year or two while they put the pieces together around him.

yea the more I think about it the more I think they could still take one. Goff's deal is basically two years and further the Colts and 9ers would probably jump to 7 to leap frog us to get a QB

Unfortunately I think we still have to trade up to GUARANTEE a QB

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Possibly. But the Lions have already publicly said they're in full rebuild mode. In that setting, I could see the Rams package as more useful. If you think you're several years from contention, pushing those 1st round picks later when you're ready to make the leap makes sense. Detroit may have decided they need more than 2 top 10 picks to turn the team around. If they see this as a 5 year rebuild, by the time they are ready to compete, those two top 10 picks are suddenly in line for a major extension. Harder to keep the core together. It's also possible their front office isn't as high on the qbs in this draft as other teams. They might've decided they would rather buy super low on Goff and gain ammunition to move up in 2022 or 2023 than pick a qb this year. Not sure any of this went into their thinking but those are ways I could justify it.

Plus there's the unknown value of the Ram's picks. They've given up all their 1st round picks for years. They're primed to implode at some point. If it happens by 2023, that 1st could become super valuable. It's a gamble but who would've expected Houston to have the 3rd worst record this year despite having a healthy Watson in his prime.

The Rams could eventually implode, but not in the next 2 years. Their record this coming season will determine that 2022 pick. Their record next year will determine that 2023 pick. Stafford added to that offense with that defense will be contenders.

Check these 2 scenarios out.

1 - Lions get Goff, 3rd, 2022 1st, and 2023 1st.....both 1st will be bottom end, like 25th or worse.

OR

2 - Lions get the 8th pick. Then trade the 8th pick to a team in the 15th pick range. They get compensation of a 2nd this year, and a 1st next year. 

That pick this year around 15 is more valuable than the Rams pick in 2022.

That 2nd this year is more valuable than a 3rd this year.

That 1st next year in 2022 is more valuable than the Rams pick in 2023.

Not only would the 8th pick net them a better package, they also wouldn't have Goff and his atrocious contract.