• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers offered "More than a 1st" for Stafford

ncfan

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The amount of hate and discontent about trying to acquire Stafford was ridiculous.

I genuinely sometimes question the football acumen of the average Huddler.

It wasn't acquiring him, it was the cost for a QB older than Cam, with an injury history even if he's been relatively healthy lately. Most would rather take / trade up for one of the young talented QBs in this class, versus having a band-aid / premium money tied up in Stafford. 

We have several holes, and eventually paying 35+ M to a QB with no OL, and no free agency money, and no draft picks is not a situation people looking at those items can get behind 100%. 

At the least when you trade up for a QB, you have 5 years of a talented QB at an extremely modest premium. So with the absence of the picks you traded, you have CAP to plug holes with higher quality free agents. 

To me, that approach makes more sense; that's not a lack of IQ, that's looking at the ramifications of what that trade would lead too....could we sign Moton, could we field a competent OL to protect a less mobile QB, etc. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If they passed on our #8, I have to think they're not gonna go after a QB in the draft. Being able to package #7 and #8 together would've been powerfully tempting for the Jets and/or Dolphins if they're sticking with their current QBs.

I think so too. Goff came with a $54M price tag for the next 2 years and is only 26. They also passed on deals from us and WFT (apparently) that would have helped them more now. Looks to me like they think Goff is their guy.

Now all we have to worry about is what they'll get offered by QB hungry teams trying to leapfrog us on draft day. Talking to you Marty/Ron.

Just now, Doc Holiday said:

we have 8 not 7, bad info people jumping to say something without any backing. im glad it didnt work out then 8th is too high a price for Stafford. Stafford 5 years ago id given 2 first and then some. not today.

Reliable sources have confirmed that we did offer the number eight pick, and more.

I'm guessing this particular Twitter just mixed up which team had what pick.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

It wasn't acquiring him, it was the cost for a QB older than Cam, with an injury history even if he's been relatively healthy lately. Most would rather take / trade up for one of the young talented QBs in this class, versus having a band-aid / premium money tied up in Stafford. 

We have several holes, and eventually paying 35+ M to a QB with no OL, and no free agency money, and no draft picks is not a situation people looking at those items can get behind 100%. 

At the least when you trade up for a QB, you have 5 years of a talented QB at an extremely modest premium. So with the absence of the picks you traded, you have CAP to plug holes with higher quality free agents. 

To me, that approach makes more sense; that's not a lack of IQ, that's looking at the ramifications of what that trade would lead too....could we sign Moton, could we field a competent OL to protect a less mobile QB, etc. 

You are aware how little Stafford's contract is for 2021 and 2022, right? So explain how that keeps us from signing Moton. You are aware he is a 2021 Free Agent, correct?

The Rams jettisoned an awful QB contract and obtained a top 10 NFL QB for 2 1sts and a 3rd. Given the acceptance of Goff was likely the 1st rounder, that is pretty damn cheap.

And comparing Stafford and Cam is apples to applesauce. Stafford has been injured but he looked better with a broken thumb than Cam did supposedly healthy. Since 2015, Stafford has missed 8 games. Cam has missed 18 games. I love Cam to death but he is a shell of himself. Stafford threw for over 4000 yards, 26 TD's and at a 64.6% rate while playing with a broken thumb part of the year.

The rest of what you are talking about is purely speculative or inaccurate. Paying Stafford 35+ mil. Maybe. No free agency money. Since when? Our cap situation is looking pretty good. No draft picks? So, hypothetically, losing 2 first rounders and a 3rd is all our draft picks? 

Finally, at our current position it is entirely likely we MAY have to trade draft capital to move up to get one of these young QB's. I fully agree that if we hit on that pick, there is nothing more valuable than a 5 year rookie QB deal. However, this is also ignoring that none of those first round QB's are sure things. Matt Stafford is a well known commodity and regarded as one of the best QB's in the league. If you don't believe me, look at what was being offered for him and the amount of teams trying to acquire him.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

You are aware how little Stafford's contract is for 2021 and 2022, right? So explain how that keeps us from signing Moton. You are aware he is a 2021 Free Agent, correct?

If I read right, Stafford's contract wasn't going to cost a whole lot more than Bridgewater's.