• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stafford didn’t want to come to the Panthers

raleigh-panther

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think you have to factor the style of play in.

Quarterbacks like Tom Brady and Drew Brees are definitely built to last longer.

Luck wasn't a style of play issue. Teddy Bridgewater wasn't a style of play issue. Nor was Alex Smith. Sometimes this poo just happens. 

Tom Brady and Drew Brees both had extremely serious injuries. Drew Brees one that almost cost him his career.

That is my point. You make your assessment of how much a guy has left in the tank, his skill level and all the other factors. You don't just look at a birth date and assume someone is near the end. How many 38+ QB's have been playing more and STILL being effective in recent years? 

That playing style factor is more pertinent for the running QB's like Vick, Cam, Lamar Jackson, etc. They get RB wear and tear and that can really add up quickly....as NFL RB career length stats have shown.

I will hear the argument against Stafford in that his peak window and our competitiveness window may not necessarily align(although we seem to be ahead of schedule in that regard). I just can't agree with the bulk of the arguments against him(age, money, injury history, W/L record, etc).

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Luck wasn't a style of play issue. Teddy Bridgewater wasn't a style of play issue. Nor was Alex Smith. Sometimes this poo just happens. 

Tom Brady and Drew Brees both had extremely serious injuries. Drew Brees one that almost cost him his career.

That is my point. You make your assessment of how much a guy has left in the tank, his skill level and all the other factors. You don't just look at a birth date and assume someone is near the end. How many 38+ QB's have been playing more and STILL being effective in recent years? 

That playing style factor is more pertinent for the running QB's like Vick, Cam, Lamar Jackson, etc. They get RB wear and tear and that can really add up quickly....as NFL RB career length stats have shown.

I will hear the argument against Stafford in that his peak window and our competitiveness window may not necessarily align(although we seem to be ahead of schedule in that regard). I just can't agree with the bulk of the arguments against him(age, money, injury history, W/L record, etc).

Luck was a "Ryan Grigson is a dumbass" issue.

Heck, if they'd have had Chris Ballard back then, he might still be playing.

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

Again stuff like this makes you have to reevaluate the Cam Newton legacy, carried a franchise nobody even wants to play for and we tossed him aside like garbage. 

Andrew Luck

Deshaun Watson

Matthew Stafford 

All QBs that don’t/didn’t want to play here. Tepper needs to change the perception of this franchise. I’ve said for a long time that the only thing that kept us from being the Browns was having Cam. Hard for fans here to realize but we aren’t viewed as a great place to play especially knee deep in a rebuild. Stafford knew like I’ve been telling y’all he only gets us to 8-8 and that’s a waste of time and money for all parties. 

It's funny you put none of the blame of what happened on Cam. Cam hurt himself with that stupid ass video. If you're a coach coming into the season, how does it look to you having a guy that posts a video on social media telling everyone how he LIED to the coaches, LIED to the trainers, LIED to doctors, LIED to the team owner about the seriousness of his injury and hurt the entire team in the process, and then acted like it was no big deal. That video made it all look like it was some kind of joke. That poo doesn't sit well with people. 

Everyone knows that guys play hurt. But there's a difference between being hurt and being injured. I know Cam put his body out there and played his style of football using his athleticism and size to try and run over people, but I still think that the reason he was let go had more to do with trust than people want to admit. 

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

We were really about to trade a top 10 pick for Stafford..... I dont like how this new GM is moving already. 

I'm still unclear on who is reporting to whom?

Seems like there's a school of thought that Fitterer reports to Rhule and simply goes out and executes on whatever strategic call Rhule makes...

...hence, Fitterer was simply making the phone call to deliver the info/package to the Lions which Rhule had deemed to be strategically proper and of appropriate value...

...is this the case?

Edited by SizzleBuzz

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It isn't like our top 10 picks recently have netted us franchise changing players, TBH.

Very good players but none that have changed the fortunes of the franchise. Other than perhaps Cam.

Cam, Luke, CMC , Derrick brown all elite players. Changing fortune is mainly reserved for QBs. All these guys were or will be all pros. That qualifies as making a big impact.

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Once in a while, there's a gem tucked away amongst the beaters on a car lot. Once in a while. Brady has been that guy a couple of times in his career.

I know but we are also living in the age of late 30's and early 40's QB's. I am certainly not saying it is the rule but I don't think it is happening rarely enough for it to be the exception, either. It seems like we are getting a lot more of these top 10 guys sticking around until their late 30's.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Report just now on Pro Football talk on TV hosted by Mike Florio and Chris Simms 

Simms just stated on the show that per a reliable inside source that:

1. Stafford did not want to come to Carolina and the

2 Panthers did offer Lions the number 8 pick which of course was higher than the Rams this year 

I kept telling all of you Stafford would not want to come from one bad team to another bad team. 

• Beer 1