• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Future of the Roster

bLACKpANTHER

NOTE: I'm only going to talk about the key role players.

Players locked up long-term:
G.Hayward - 4 years $120 mil
L.Ball - 4 years $7.8 mil
PJ Washington - 3 years $4 mil

Players locked up short-term:
M.Bridges - 2 years $4 mil
T.Rozier - 2 years $18.9 mil

Players about to hit the market:
C.Zeller - $15.4 mil
M.Monk - $5.3 mil
D.Graham - $1.5 mil
B.Biyombo - $3.5 mil
---------------------
expiring total: $25.7 mil

Of those expiring - Zeller, Monk & Graham have definite value. Are we looking to re-sign any of them?
1) I think next year we will be starting L.Ball which makes Graham expendable. I think he would be amazing off the bench as backup PG but I don't know if he's willing to take a permanent bench role.
2) I think the relationship with Monk got bad enough that he is looking to greener pastures next year.
3) I imagine Zeller wouldn't be hard to resign if we wanted to keep him on the roster - but I'm all for getting new blood and the starting Center position.

With all that being said, instead of just letting them expire - should we flip a combination of them at the deadline for another (long-term) asset? Or do we keep that $25.7 mil for re-signing Bridges/Rozier? Or do you think something completely different?

2 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

With all that being said, instead of just letting them expire - should we flip a combination of them at the deadline for another (long-term) asset? Or do we keep that $25.7 mil for re-signing Bridges/Rozier? Or do you think something completely different?

That depends on what return we can get for their expiring versus what we think we can resign them for.

We can definitely improve a the C/PF position over what Zeller currently brings, but he also won't (or at least shouldn't) command a $15MM salary again.  He'd be worth bringing back as a depth piece for significantly less.  If you don't feel that he will resign for less than half his current salary, I think he's more valuable as a trade chip. With such a large amount expiring, he's a pretty attractive piece for other teams.  I lean toward using him as a trade asset rather than resigning him.

Monk will likely be viewed as a salvageable young player, so I think he could fetch a decent return.  If we feel differently or the relationship has soured too much, I'd definitely unload him at the deadline.  Borrego has been playing him more of late and he's been relatively effective.  I'm on the fence here, but I'd lean toward trading him.

Biyombo has literally zero trade value other than as an expiring.  Throw him in a deal to make salaries match.

We should try to retain Graham as a microwave instant offense scorer off the bench/heavy rotation guard.  I'd look to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal at $10 MM per deal.  I don't think he'd garner much as a trade chip because his expiring contract is so small.  Unless the receiving team has it worked out that the trade is contingent on him signing an extension, he's not all that valuable as a rental or expiring contract.

Just now, woahfraze said:

If Malik Monk is going to play like this, I don't think I want to trade him lol.  Or maybe it would make sense to sell high?

Yeah we gotta just keep Malik. Hopefully he’ll be willing to stay. Guy is an absolute stud when he’s on, and I think he’ll be able to get that consistency at some point. Just give him the opportunity

8 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Keep the players you invested draft picks into.

Terry is the odd man out. I really like him as a player but moving him allows Ball to move into the starting lineup and Terry's salary will help match a potential trade for a big man.

maybe...graham & monk are going to cost us what we are paying rozier now

One of the reasons I like Hayward is he doesn't force anything.  The Heat had Butler never help off of Hayward.  Hayward was in the corner and Butler was glued to him and never rotated up to take the wing 3 point shooter.  Nice looks for Monk and others last night.

That said, nobody is game planning for Monk right now. I want to see sustained success from him with Rozier out (however long that is).  76ers are going to be a great test. 

It would be tough to lose any offensive firepower, but maybe for Drummond it makes sense.  Even though I have never really been sold on Drummond.  It would be nice to get a defensive rebound.

This coach has an embarrassment of riches. Mitch is that guy. Nothing is wrong with this roster. He needs to find his rotation. DeVante and LaMelo work well together so thats great going forward. Hopefully PJ is back soon. Im proud of this team and the uniforms are fire! Starting to see more teal and purple in Charlotte again. As it should be.