• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How close did the Panthers come to getting Stafford? Dang close.

Zod

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Wonder what Teddy is thinking right now?  Lol.

I was never a big fan of allowing the fear of hurting somebody's feelings to affect roster decisions.

It's one of the reasons I'm glad Ron and Marty are gone.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Eh not really. What makes it hard is when you have an owner who knows nothing hiring coaches that know nothing. 

Never thought Rhule deserved the job. Didn’t do poo in college. Now you put him in charge of personnel and he seems desperate rather than calculated. Overcorrection never works. 

You are the stereotypical person that goes into a room at a job site or some business and acts like they know way more about how to do their job than the people who actually work there.

• Flames 4

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I like Rhule as a HC, not as a HC in charge. Not sure how Fritters fits in but there are plenty of reasons to doubt. This trade with thr amount of time he has had to take in the team leaves me concerned about thr level of dumb incoming.

Fitts is well known for his scouting background so I'm sure he has scouted damn near every player drafted by someone at some point.  I am sure he also has knowledge of the guys already on the team a good deal better than we do.  It doesn't take long for him and Rhule to discuss the teams current needs and anyone that has watched more than a couple of our games can obviously see where the weakest links are. 

I say we give this new crew some time to put it all together before we declare it a failure right out of the gate.

• Beer 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Fitts is well known for his scouting background so I'm sure he has scouted damn near every player drafted by someone at some point.  I am sure he also has knowledge of the guys already on the team a good deal better than we do.  It doesn't take long for him and Rhule to discuss the teams current needs and anyone that has watched more than a couple of our games can obviously see where the weakest links are. 

I say we give this new crew some time to put it all together before we declare it a failure right out of the gate.

There are plenty of concerns, his supposed scouting background being a positive is one of mine. I haven't been very impressed with Seattle's talent evaluation since their scouting guru left to kill his carrier with WTF. To this day, they are keeping their heads above water from the work he did, that is impressive.

They want some respect for me it's going to have to be earned. I'm a fan, not a cheerleader. I hope they can pull it off and prove what we all hope but that doesn't mean the concerns just evaporate away without them proving them to not be an issue. 

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is 33, not 38. 

Take a look at the league for the past five years. Anything stand out in the top 10 passers in the NFL? Yeah, it is a lot of guys in their late 30's. Elite QB's are staying around longer because the NFL doesn't let them get ground to mush like they did in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

I mean, unless you are running QB like Cam...then it is fine, apparently.

Well ran teams also don't look like the Carolina Panthers, so let's be clear about that. Well ran teams and winning teams already know that you need an elite QB to succeed. 

Feels like a really generous comparison to compare him to a brees or Brady, were not just talking about how long you'll have him, but how long you'll have him at a high level

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

We know we offered #8 plus another pick, probably 4th or 5th round based on what I've read. May have offered Bridgewater too.

We also know that our draft pick was the highest one offered.

Sounds reasonable to me. It's certainly not on the level of what the Rams offered. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

Feels like a really generous comparison to compare him to a brees or Brady, were not just talking about how long you'll have him, but how long you'll have him at a high level

Brees or Brady? Dude, better get out that list again. Those are the 40+ guys.

Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, etc.

Like I said, these guys are playing longer because the league changed the rules over the years to favor QB's. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Brees or Brady? Dude, better get out that list again. Those are the 40+ guys.

Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, etc.

Like I said, these guys are playing longer because the league changed the rules over the years to favor QB's. 

and all of those players started to trail off, rodgers aside but I'm assuming you wouldn't dare make that comparison

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, LegioX said:

You are the stereotypical person that goes into a room at a job site or some business and acts like they know way more about how to do their job than the people who actually work there.

Has served me pretty well so far. Rather be under qualified than over qualified. 

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I was never a big fan of allowing the fear of hurting somebody's feelings to affect roster decisions.

It's one of the reasons I'm glad Ron and Marty are gone.

Oh, me either, and I agree...  throughout our history one of the biggest reasons for our inconsistency and struggles has been due to that issue.  So this is both refreshing and welcome.  

But, I also find it interesting that we're so openly flaunting our interest in moving on at the most important position on a football team...  I mean, everyone knows how I feel about the Teddy Debacle, but still...  it is interesting seeing it play out as it is.

1 hour ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

Y’all who are glad we didn’t get Stafford, you do realize in this league you go nowhere without an elite qb right? 

We just don’t think Stafford is an elite QB. He’s been a very good QB unable to carry bad teams. Like it or not we are a bad team and bringing him here only meant worse draft position and mediocrity. The Rams are in a better position to capitalize on a QB like Stafford right now. We aren’t. It’s that simple. 

• Pie 1