• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How close did the Panthers come to getting Stafford? Dang close.

Zod

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

@Iron Saint Get your ass in here and explain to me what the deal is with The Golden Calf of Bristol 2.0 starting over Jameis Winston. What is the behind the scene story with Winston? How does Sean Payton start fuging Taysom fuging Hill over Winston?? The man started a fuging backup TE over a former NFL starter. 

Sean Payton has a giant ego and they gave Hill 21 million dollars making him one of the highest paid backups in the league.  Winston had a 1 million dollar contract. That had something to do with it I think. Not all but some. People talked mad poo about Sean giving that kind of money to a shitty, average player. 

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

The aggressiveness of this trade proposal make it seem like Fitterer realized Deshaun Watson was not going to happen and Stafford was the best QB option out there. 

I don’t think it’s a matter of “not going to happen” but stafford was a certainty that was 100% available for trade and didn’t involve trading the next two years of picks away to get. That being said, we will be in the conversation if Watson officially goes on the block and this is encouraging as well....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tigernet.com/amp/update/Report-Deshaun-Watson-has-interest-in-playing-for-Panthers-37306

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

57 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Brett Favre is the closest I can think of. 400/5 one week and 200/1/4 the next. Favre was obviously better, but the erratic decisions are the closest I can think of.

His career stats to this point and Favre's are almost dead even. I did a detailed statistical breakdown of that on here last offseason(I think). The similarity was amazing.

The question is, does anyone in the league have the stomach for a QB as erratic as Favre in the modern game?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not that close

“What’s accurate is — and this is an incredible thing by [the Lions] — I asked to go to a team that was ready to win a championship,” Stafford said. “And, you know, there were a few teams on that list. There were a few teams that were not on that list. And they were respectful of that and understood completely. I had thoughts and reasons for each one of them.”

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

lol people in here acting like Stafford is a bad QB. smh.

It’s not that he’s “bad” he’s just not going to elevate a bad team. He never has. If you have a good team around him then he’ll do well. He’s going to do well enough in LA to make people believe we should have tried harder to get him. They’re going to be wrong, he doesn’t have the same type of value on a team like this. 

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

It’s not that he’s “bad” he’s just not going to elevate a bad team. He never has. If you have a good team around him then he’ll do well. He’s going to do well enough in LA to make people believe we should have tried harder to get him. They’re going to be wrong, he doesn’t have the same type of value on a team like this. 

I think I’m a little bit higher on him than you. He’s like, really good. But we were not in position to trade for a 33 year old player lmao

15 hours ago, NAS said:

Maybe not that close

“What’s accurate is — and this is an incredible thing by [the Lions] — I asked to go to a team that was ready to win a championship,” Stafford said. “And, you know, there were a few teams on that list. There were a few teams that were not on that list. And they were respectful of that and understood completely. I had thoughts and reasons for each one of them.”

Exchanging medical information is like one step away from completion, so yeah it was that close.

The Panthers weren't Stafford's first choice, and that's all we really know. But even if they were one of the teams he didn't want, he didn't have any leverage to stop a trade. And the Lions only agreed they would try to send him to a place he wanted to go, but only if it was also advantageous to them.

Los Angeles upping their final offer made it work out. If not for that, he'd likely be on his way here now.

13 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Like Watson. Like pretty much every QB outside of Brady maybe

Got to think he wouldn't have been thrilled to come here given his explanation of what he wanted and how they were cooperating to help meet those. They didn't actually do the medical swap. That just sounds anecdotal stuff thrown in to make something sound interesting. We have no idea how close almost providing medical info means in the big picture but it sounds interesting.