• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dark horse QB option: Derek Carr?

FuFuLamePoo

2 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

Stop telling me who i have and haven’t watched how would you know if i have or haven’t . You know how many games i sat and watched him fumble away literally or just wasn’t able to get the job done but let me guess just like Stafford it’s not his fault it’s all his other teammates fault . And when i say another qb with a cool arm i was correlated it to the Stafford rumors i thought that would be obvious but continue . He’s a mediocre QB who never even made the playoffs don’t tell me about the cool throws he can make . I want a winner idc how he get it done . That’s my point in all these trade rumors 

Because if you HAD watched Carr play you wouldn't be making crazy statements about what he can and can't do.  He's a lot more than another "cool arm".  He's a good QB.  So is Stafford, I just think the price was too high on him.

Oh, and you want a winner?  Like someone who can take his team downfield at the end of the fourth and score?  Like Carr did against the Chiefs?  Or like he did FIVE TIMES last year?

Stop blaming Carr for the ineptitude of his franchise and watch him play.  It's like the people who were blaming Tannehill for the Dolphins failures.  He goes to the Titans and "suddenly" he looks like a franchise QB?  No.  He always was that.  He's gotten better every single year.  JUST LIKE CARR.  Tannehill went from a Dolphins castoff to a Titans hero with 33 TD / 7 INT / 6 game winning drives.

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

A: A team trading for TB is paying for a QB that is middle of the road when it comes to contract cost, for a QB its very reasonable. He is the 19th highest paid QB, and will drop lower after this off season. 

B: The third year has a team out see screen shot:
image.png.9912cf3a64b6a67c6aa66336d4ee9b2b.png

He is currently the 15th highest QB cap number for 2021 and will move up one spot once Drew Brees retires. Dak Prescott is the only free agent QB of note this offseason and he will likely surpass the deal Teddy has. 

A top 15 contract is bad for a backup QB. The thing that makes it infinitely worse is something we didn't know was going to happen when we signed him, which is the salary cap decreasing. That is honestly the thing that makes his deal so unbearably bad. 

Any of these recent teams that have had big contract backup QB's(Glennon, Foles) have eventually moved them before their contracts expired. If we can get a cap heavy team to take a draft pick, I would trade him. That cap money would be fantastic to roll over for 2022 when we owe some big contracts to younger players. Or to simply use on a guy like Moton.

2 minutes ago, blackcat said:

Does he throw check downs with the game on the line and an opportunity to win?

Just the opposite.  He takes his team downfield and scores.  Five times last year.  He had a sixth time pissed away after he put his team ahead of the Chiefs with 1:45 to go and the defense couldn't get a stop.

15 minutes ago, Toomers said:

19th highest salary, not counting that the only starting QBs on that list making less are on rookie deals. 19th for an average backup QB. Not a starter. 2 years and 42M to get to that OUT. How is that anything but horrible considering you could have gotten his quality of play for 3M or less? Just because someone else who doesn’t understand the salary cap says there is an OUT, doesn’t mean it isn’t an awful contract. Matt Kalil had an out. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t horrible and costly to the team. 

And how is 17M a value to a team trading for him? 

your rant will be deemed useless one year from now. poo maybe even 4-6 weeks from now. LSS: its a short term deal that will not impact us after this offseason.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

He is currently the 15th highest QB cap number for 2021 and will move up one spot once Drew Brees retires. Dak Prescott is the only free agent QB of note this offseason and he will likely surpass the deal Teddy has. 

A top 15 contract is bad for a backup QB. The thing that makes it infinitely worse is something we didn't know was going to happen when we signed him, which is the salary cap decreasing. That is honestly the thing that makes his deal so unbearably bad. 

Any of these recent teams that have had big contract backup QB's(Glennon, Foles) have eventually moved them before their contracts expired. If we can get a cap heavy team to take a draft pick, I would trade him. That cap money would be fantastic to roll over for 2022 when we owe some big contracts to younger players. Or to simply use on a guy like Moton.

It's fair to think the franchise has a move in play for how they will handle this after this offseason. Maybe its in line with what you are proposing. Moving TB wont be as hard as we think.

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Because if you HAD watched Carr play you wouldn't be making crazy statements about what he can and can't do.  He's a lot more than another "cool arm".  He's a good QB.  So is Stafford, I just think the price was too high on him.

Oh, and you want a winner?  Like someone who can take his team downfield at the end of the fourth and score?  Like Carr did against the Chiefs?  Or like he did FIVE TIMES last year?

Stop blaming Carr for the ineptitude of his franchise and watch him play.  It's like the people who were blaming Tannehill for the Dolphins failures.  He goes to the Titans and "suddenly" he looks like a franchise QB?  No.  He always was that.  He's gotten better every single year.  JUST LIKE CARR.  Tannehill went from a Dolphins castoff to a Titans hero with 33 TD / 7 INT / 6 game winning drives.

Wake me up when Carr and Tannehill lead their team to a super bowl . I’ll admit i was wrong and buy you a beer . I promise .

Just now, TheCasillas said:

your rant will be deemed useless one year from now. poo maybe even 4-6 weeks from now. LSS: its a short term deal that will not impact us after this offseason.

40M in cap space and a 3rd round pick will have an effect on more than just one off-season. It’s useless to you because you don’t understand what the salary cap is and how it’s supposed to be managed. My rant is nothing but facts. Yours is trying to justify stupidity by the front office with avg salary fantasies. 

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

It's fair to think the franchise has a move in play for how they will handle this after this offseason. Maybe its in line with what you are proposing. Moving TB wont be as hard as we think.

I think moving him prior to the draft will be really challenging. I can easily see a scenario where we sign or draft his replacement and we start shopping him. It will have to be a cap dump move where we give them a draft pick to take him, however. That contract is not one many teams are going to want on their books.

Same thing I have said about a far, far, far, far, far better player in CMC. That is another toxic contract that the majority of teams don't want. 

I really hope that is the biggest thing moving forward we get better at. We have to stop giving out these Bridgewater, CMC and Shaq Thompson toxic contracts. 

17 minutes ago, Toomers said:

40M in cap space and a 3rd round pick will have an effect on more than just one off-season. It’s useless to you because you don’t understand what the salary cap is and how it’s supposed to be managed. My rant is nothing but facts. Yours is trying to justify stupidity by the front office with avg salary fantasies. 

sure man. 👍

25 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Just the opposite.  He takes his team downfield and scores.  Five times last year.  He had a sixth time pissed away after he put his team ahead of the Chiefs with 1:45 to go and the defense couldn't get a stop.

Hey don’t forget the Miami game where they took the lead with only 20 seconds left.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think moving him prior to the draft will be really challenging. I can easily see a scenario where we sign or draft his replacement and we start shopping him. It will have to be a cap dump move where we give them a draft pick to take him, however. That contract is not one many teams are going to want on their books.

Same thing I have said about a far, far, far, far, far better player in CMC. That is another toxic contract that the majority of teams don't want. 

I really hope that is the biggest thing moving forward we get better at. We have to stop giving out these Bridgewater, CMC and Shaq Thompson toxic contracts. 

The tough thing about those contracts is that they are all over the league. There are many players in the league with ridiculous contracts. I dont agree with the CMC contract, I think it was earned, but i understand where you are coming from with Shaq and TB. 

Honeslty, I really do think we see TB moved without much struggle this offseason. IF we find another QB.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

sure man. 👍

That’s exactly what I thought when you decided to tell everyone they didn’t understand TBs contract, while showing you had no actual concept of what it’s about. Why would we have no problem moving him? Anything besides because you said so? 

• The D 1