• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dark horse QB option: Derek Carr?

FuFuLamePoo

7 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

He had a top 10 passer rating (over 100) this past year and his career rating is 92. That’s probably better than any QB in Panthers history.

I think he would be good. But I question whether he’d be worth a trade and a definite upgrade over TB.

Well the knock on teddy is that he lacks the ability to push the ball downfield, but has a high completion percentage because he dumps it off so much. Doesn’t carr have the same issues? Upgrade? Yes. Substantially so? Probably not. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, MilkyCastles said:

Well the knock on teddy is that he lacks the ability to push the ball downfield, but has a high completion percentage because he dumps it off so much. Doesn’t carr have the same issues? Upgrade? Yes. Substantially so? Probably not. 

No, this is incorrect.  That's the knock that some folks have for Carr, but you need to watch his eyes when he plays.  His eyes are downfield, sometimes for a little too long.  His first read is always downfield.  If anything, I think he's sometimes a little late getting to the checkdown.  Not that he doesn't take it, but it's definitely not his preferred choice.

FWIW - Carr had a higher intended air yards per attempt than Aaron Rodgers, Kyler Murray and Big Ben (as well as 18 other QB's).

1 hour ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Lombardi also said today that he doesn't think Watson is going anywhere. Sounds like the Texans are totally prepared to just let him sit if that's what it comes too and get into some sort of tug of war match. 

McClain's been saying that for a while but nobody wanted to listen.

I do think the Raiders will probably be willing to part with Carr. There was talk of it last year, and heaven knows Jon Gruden is always willing to change quarterbacks.

17 minutes ago, BrianS said:

No, this is incorrect.  That's the knock that some folks have for Carr, but you need to watch his eyes when he plays.  His eyes are downfield, sometimes for a little too long.  His first read is always downfield.  If anything, I think he's sometimes a little late getting to the checkdown.  Not that he doesn't take it, but it's definitely not his preferred choice.

FWIW - Carr had a higher intended air yards per attempt than Aaron Rodgers, Kyler Murray and Big Ben (as well as 18 other QB's).

I'm fine with that as long as he's not a member of Rex Grossman's "F--- it, I'm going deep" Club.

45 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Watch his eyes?? I don’t even know what to do with that. Regardless that’s not a great argument. Kelvin Benjamin probably looks at the salad bar a lot, but when it’s time to order he gets the meatloaf with the loaded baked potato every time. 

Also I’m so sick of these “adjusted” stats. PFF says one thing, Next Gen another, football outsiders another. I’d rather just use actually games stats, like this: 

TB yards per completion career- 11.0

DC yards per completion career- 10.9

It's Wilson pre-draft, then potentially a QB in the draft, THEN worst case, we start looking at these type of avenues a la Carr, Darnold, Minshew, Trubiski, etc.

If that's how we prioritize, then sure, let's explore it.  I wouldn't give up a 1st for Carr.  Maybe a 2nd & 6th type combo.