• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much to trade up to 3 or 5

ladypanther

Looks like we are going have to get a QB in the draft.. With the Lions at 7..if they do not want to draft a QB they can trade the pick and the bam...4 QB's are off the board.  What will it take to trade up to 5?  That is hoping that Miami stays where they are. If not what is the cost of trading up to 3?  I anticipate a bidding war ...so many teams hungry for a QB.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I posted this in another thread:

We are probably going to have to trade up to GUARANTEE a QB is the pick now, however with the Stafford trade I think it is more likely Lance falls to 8. Who do I think we might trade with? The Bengals at 5 are VERY interesting. 

Per this draft chart: https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

The capital to move up from 8 to 5 isn't that bad. It would take basically 8th overall, a third and fourth rounder. Let's say the Panthers bet on being better next year, so we trade: 8th, third this year, and a future fourth for 5. 

Here's why this is interesting. Let's assume no one bites on the Jets mega offer and they take Wilson at 2. The Dolphins again will want a king's ransom. Again if no one bites they're forced to take the guy they want (Devonta) at 3. Falcons are interesting because I really have no idea what they do but it is conceivable they DONT go QB because Matt Ryan's deal is an absolute albatross and the worst I've ever seen. 

Suddenly, the fifth pick has Fields and Lance (pick your player). Panthers give the Bengals a chance to still get Sewell/Slater at 8 more than the Colts or 9ers would be able to provide. 

Also you can bet your bottom dollar Fitts is trading back in the second round in this scenario above to reaquire some of the capital it took to move up to 5. Let's say with the WFT who is going to be itching to take their "Greg Little, Everrette Brown" first rounder who is in the second all of a sudden.

• Pie 1

Eagles traded from 8 -> 2 for Wentz a couple years ago...

It will be pricey but it might not be as expensive for a couple reasons.  Obviously it would be for pick 3 instead of 2 for one. But also, in 2016 there were only 2 players viewed as potential franchise QBs vs. likely 4 this year. So at pick 3, teams would still have at least one fall back plan.

Edited by Untouchable
  • Pie 3

On 2/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, SOJA said:

I posted this in another thread:

We are probably going to have to trade up to GUARANTEE a QB is the pick now, however with the Stafford trade I think it is more likely Lance falls to 8. Who do I think we might trade with? The Bengals at 5 are VERY interesting. 

Per this draft chart: https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

The capital to move up from 8 to 5 isn't that bad. It would take basically 8th overall, a third and fourth rounder. Let's say the Panthers bet on being better next year, so we trade: 8th, third this year, and a future fourth for 5. 

Here's why this is interesting. Let's assume no one bites on the Jets mega offer and they take Wilson at 2. The Dolphins again will want a king's ransom. Again if no one bites they're forced to take the guy they want (Devonta) at 3. Falcons are interesting because I really have no idea what they do but it is conceivable they DONT go QB because Matt Ryan's deal is an absolute albatross and the worst I've ever seen. 

Suddenly, the fifth pick has Fields and Lance (pick your player). Panthers give the Bengals a chance to still get Sewell/Slater at 8 more than the Colts or 9ers would be able to provide. 

Also you can bet your bottom dollar Fitts is trading back in the second round in this scenario above to reaquire some of the capital it took to move up to 5. Let's say with the WFT who is going to be itching to take their "Greg Little, Everrette Brown" first rounder who is in the second all of a sudden.

As I was reading this, it was eerie that nearly every main thought confirmed my hunches.  I think we end up with Lance, trade back in the second round and take a few OL and maybe a CB.  I see depth at those positions this year. 

• Pie 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:54 PM, 45catfan said:

The Browns got an extra 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  That was too pricey.  The 1st was a given, but the second is where the overkill is especially with the 3rd tacked on.  The 1st and 3rd should have worked.

Yeah, QB inflation. 

It will be interesting to see how we start positioning ourselves to enter free agency--that might reveal what we are hoping to accomplish in the draft.  We have some June 1 cuts that could save us a bunch going into the season signing waived players, etc.  or it could simply carry over to 2022, where we are bigger players in free agency. 

While we are in bad shape, we are probably in better shape (cap, contracts) than the rest of the NFC South

Edited by MHS831

We could have played this correctly and had a top 3 pick, but Rhule wanted Teddy. Now he doesn't want Teddy. Welp there is a price to pay for making mistakes, and that price is potentially QB limbo.

Now the new GM has to solve Rhule's blunder. How to find a better QB than Teddy without giving away a kings ransom and hamstringing the team for multiple seasons?

If I'm Fitterer, then I'll stay put and wait for Trey Lance to fall into our lap. Yes Trey is risky, but he has a cannon arm and can run like a beast. We need to take a risk now because of Rhule, so the risky plan goes into place. Rhule made his blunder, the donkey is out of the barn, and now comes risk to save the team from mediocrity. I think Fitterer will wait for Trey at 8th, and that is the right move. We only risk the 8th pick, and the reward is a potential franchise QB. Good move if he plays his cards right.

If I had to guess, I would say Rhule is in Fitterer's ear daily squawking about finding a franchise QB. Rhule is probably in a panic because he knows now that he shouldn't have hitched his wagon to Teddy. Now Fitterer is under the gun and feeling Rhule's stress. The thing is that Fitterer needs to be smart and make the correct decisions no matter Rhule's worried squawking. Rhule has told previous coaches "this may be your last day with us" when he becomes emotionally upset, but Fitterer needs to relax and be smart. 

Under no circumstances should we trade away the future for a QB like Wilson who is physically unimpressive. We need to stay put and limit our risk to an 8th round pick only.

• Flames 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:42 AM, ladypanther said:

Looks like we are going have to get a QB in the draft.. With the Lions at 7..if they do not want to draft a QB they can trade the pick and the bam...4 QB's are off the board.  What will it take to trade up to 5?  That is hoping that Miami stays where they are. If not what is the cost of trading up to 3?  I anticipate a bidding war ...so many teams hungry for a QB.

I am thinking that we have to go after Miami's pick if we want a QB. 

As long as we don't give up our 2nd this year, I'm fine with two firsts, a second and a third going back to move up to 3. 

I actually like the CLE-PHI trade. They wouldn't receive our 2nd rounder for two years in that deal. With a good QB on our roster, we should be picking in the 20's in two years. That 2nd rounder in 2023 isn't as impactful as a 2nd rounder this and next year. 

In that deal, we would receive a 4th rounder next year coming back our way.

The only part of that deal that really stings, is next year's first and this year's third. We would have two years to try and regain a 2nd round value that we lost, but in another trade. 

Having our 2nd round pick this year and next allows us to add a top-50 rookie deal to our roster this year, and next. 

TLDR: If its a PHI-CLE structured deal to move to #2 and get "our guy", I'm doing it yesterday. Watson is a pipe dream that will gut our assets.