• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person - The Athletic - Panthers not interested in any senior bowl QBs

Varking

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I don't agree with your boom-or-bust theory! Lance arguably has the highest upside of this class. He has strength, arm talent, good decision making, and mobility. The only things that he really needs are teaching, time and experience!

He’s thousands of throws and reads behind the other QBs in this draft. He played at a high school that didnt throw the ball so he wasn’t recruited and then went to the top D2 school who are run dominant and he only played for one year. That’s a ton of first team reps missed. He has the potential to have the highest ceiling of all the kids in this draft but kids are often protected in college. They avoiding throwing the ball a lot with him. 

3 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Josh Allen was boom or bust, many at the time felt similar about Mahomes (10th overall), you can't hit a homerun if you don't swing the bat!

Give me potential and upside with + athleticism, and let the coaches do what they are paid millions to do!

You are right-I thought both were busts.   I am not good at projecting NFL talent at some positions.  So it is challenging to share my opinions amidst a sea of fuggin' experts.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Isn't this the time when everyone lies and you can't take anything too seriously while teams try to not tip their hand?  Why isn't this likely more of the same??

So we are here scouting talent, but there is the awesome and insightful Joe Person--we owe him the truth.  Let's go tell him exactly what we think, while Rhule is telling reporters how great Mac Alpha Jones is. 

Person just makes stuff up.  "Panthers have a 30% chance of signing Moton"  Never gets called out.

1 hour ago, Varking said:

He’s thousands of throws and reads behind the other QBs in this draft. He played at a high school that didnt throw the ball so he wasn’t recruited and then went to the top D2 school who are run dominant and he only played for one year. That’s a ton of first team reps missed. He has the potential to have the highest ceiling of all the kids in this draft but kids are often protected in college. They avoiding throwing the ball a lot with him. 

Thousands of throws and reads behind? More like hundreds, but even if that's the case, it's because they've played more. You've been consistently trying to act like Lance can't throw the ball! Good luck with that!

Trey Lance may have the most experience running a pro-style offense. So, there's that!

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Thousands of throws and reads behind? More like hundreds, but even if that's the case, it's because they've played more. You've been consistently trying to act like Lance can't throw the ball! Good luck with that!

Trey Lance may have the most experience running a pro-style offense. So, there's that!

Where have I written he can’t throw? There’s a select few users who get very defensive whenever you knock a prospect that they want to get behind.

And thousands is likely accurate. You practice the plays you run. If you are a running school you throw less. This means you throw less in practice as well. It’s a legit concern. Look at a guy like Trevor Lawrence and here is a kid who aired it out in high school and then got to air it out in college. 

Thats practice reps. Camp reps. And most importantly it’s game reps. 

It doesn’t help that he basically got this year off after playing one full season of football. 

That being said, I’ve REPEATEDLY stated I would completely understand why we would draft him. That doesn’t mean he is my ideal pick. It also doesn’t mean I don’t think he can throw. I think from a development standpoint he’s going to need more work than the others to have a big workload in the NFL throwing the ball. There are things to love about the kid and there are things that make you worry. 

Pro style offenses don’t limit your QB to 10 throws during the National Championship game. 

Edited by Varking
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, Varking said:

Where have I written he can’t throw? There’s a select few users who get very defensive whenever you knock a prospect that they want to get behind.

And thousands is likely accurate. You practice the plays you run. If you are a running school you throw less. This means you throw less in practice as well. It’s a legit concern. Look at a guy like Trevor Lawrence and here is a kid who aired it out in high school and then got to air it out in college. 

It doesn’t help that he basically got this year off after playing one full season of football. 

That being said, I’ve REPEATEDLY stated I would completely understand why we would draft him. That doesn’t mean he is my ideal pick. It also doesn’t mean I don’t think he can throw. I think from a development standpoint he’s going to need more work than the others to have a big workload in the NFL throwing the ball. There are things to love about the kid and there are things that make you worry. 

He isn't wrong about this. Lance is relatively inexperienced as a QB. His dad played DB in college and the CFL and it sounds like he had a fairly non-traditional upbringing as a QB. I do like that he has a chip on his shoulder and I like that he learned at an early age how to beat defensive backs but he really is thousands of reps behind. So, even though the linked article talks about what a "natural" he is....he will still be a project because he hasn't been putting in thousands of reps like Lawrence, Fields and Wilson have. 

That is a real area of concern. The interviews and workouts are going to be huge for him. 

Edited by kungfoodude

11 minutes ago, Varking said:

Pro style offenses don’t limit your QB to 10 throws during the National Championship game. 

Just like at any other level of football, you do what it takes to win, and running down someone's throat is preferable every single time!

Stop with the bullshit narrative about people getting defensive. It's not true. Lance is just a prospect like all the other ones. He will get his knocks just like everyone else not named Trevor. Analysis and criticism are all a part of the process, but you seem to take offense every time someone points out counterarguments to prospects that you don't want. Your go-to argument is that some message boarders are being "defensive", but you're the one who is low-key getting the attitude. I'll say what I said the last time you accused me of being defensive: Some of you are going to rue the day that you talked poo about Trey Lance. And, I stand behind what I said. If he busts, I'll be the first to admit it. But, when he turns out to be special, I won't even have to say "I told you so", because you'll know.

For the record, I'll be content to get a potential starter. Sure, I think Lance has the highest upside, and I doubt that he's going to bust, but if we pick Wilson, Fields, or even Jones, I will trust that Rhule and company know what they're looking for and be hopeful that it all works out. Even if we don't pick a QB, I know that we will acquire one relatively soon (before Teddy's contract is up).