• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumor circulating between a potential Panthers/Niners QB swap... Teddy B for Jimmy G

FeelTheBurns53

6 minutes ago, Floppin said:

This would probably be my lowest point as a Panther's fan if this goes through. It will literally tank my expectations for any future improvement as everyone involved with team management are clearly fuging idiots.

Why is everyone saying this? Jimmy's contract would give us a better out after 1 season. If the plan is to roll with a vet this year regardless and have our drafted QB sit behind him for a year I'd be all ears to this. We're paying Teddy this year anyway. If the deal is straight up swap, why in the world wouldn't we take it for the guy who gives us a better out with less dead money after next year? Also Jimmy G when healthy >>>> Teddy. As long as he isn't the long term answer and we still get a guy in the draft, this would be great for us. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Zod said:

This is likely baseless. Makes no sense.

It's bullsh*t season in the NFL.  There will be tons of rumors floated around this time of year to throw the competition off.  You guys should know this.  Never believe a damn thing until it is officially announced.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Why is everyone saying this? Jimmy's contract would give us a better out after 1 season. If the plan is to roll with a vet this year regardless and have our drafted QB sit behind him for a year I'd be all ears to this. We're paying Teddy this year anyway. If the deal is straight up swap, why in the world wouldn't we take it for the guy who gives us a better out with less dead money after next year? Also Jimmy G when healthy >>>> Teddy. As long as he isn't the long term answer and we still get a guy in the draft, this would be great for us. 

He's barely better than Teddy and as you said "when healthy" to even be that. Also, just by quickly glancing at the numbers this would only save us a possible ~4 million which by and large is totally pointless. Unless this is some catalyst for some other mindblowing move in the draft that we don't know about it just smacks of a desperate need to do something/anything, which is a recipe for long-term garbage team building. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Floppin said:

He's barely better than Teddy and as you said "when healthy" to even be that. Also, just by quickly glancing at the numbers this would only save us a possible ~4 million which by and large is totally pointless. Unless this is some catalyst for some other mindblowing move in the draft that we don't know about it just smacks of a desperate need to do something/anything, which is a recipe for long-term garbage team building. 

I completely disagree with sentence 1 so we're probably not going to agree on this one. But hell if you can save 4 mil by doing absolutely nothing why in the world wouldn't we? Again - im saying all this with the assumption it would be a method to minimize teddy's awful contract and we're still drafting our guy this year. 

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I have no idea why either team would be interested in this.

Would free up the Niners to go after Watson or another quarterback.

As far as connections go, Fitterer would be very familiar with Garoppolo. Plus you can figure that Adam Peters might talk to Matt Rhule. Maybe say something like I think "He'd work in your system. Perhaps we can help each other out."

No idea whether there's any truth to it, but there is some possible logic.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

I completely disagree with sentence 1 so we're probably not going to agree on this one. But hell if you can save 4 mil by doing absolutely nothing why in the world wouldn't we? Again - im saying all this with the assumption it would be a method to minimize teddy's awful contract and we're still drafting our guy this year. 

Because I'm not sold that we're hunting a QB in this draft. If there's any legs to this and when you also consider how hard we went after Stafford, I'm thinking that the Panthers are trying desperately to improve their QB situation outside of the draft.

This could be a win for both teams.

SF is in a win now mode - they just need a guy that is steady, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and can stay healthy.  Teddy can be a decent game manager.  With the defense and Kittle, he might have some success.  He wouldn't need to put up 30 every week to have a shot at winning.

Jimmy is much better (if healthy).  If we get an extra 2nd, this will allow us to move up a bit and grab our developmental QB to sit for a year.

I think the panthers will get one of the big 4, but will want to sit him a while to learn the ropes.