• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Schottenheimer moved to hospice.

Such a great coach and a nice guy by all reports. What a terrible way to go. I lost my grandmother to dementia a few years ago and it was just a long, terrible slide to see such a great lady fade away.

And on the nursing home front, I remember doing a series of stories for a newspaper about how lower end nursing home chains would often move ward of the state patients or ones where they only received Social Security/Medicare for payment for the patient. A full facility that was a big draw (nice location, congenial staff, etc.) would shuffle those patients off to poorer run facilities in the chain (always within the same state) to keep patient population levels (and revenues) at the maximum. Most times it was patients with no families or with ones who were very minimally involved. The vast majority of the patients moved also did not have the mental capacity to understand what was going on. It didn't come to light until they moved a literal busload of them into three nursing homes in the county I lived in. As each had to be registered there, it was someone who worked at one of the facilities that blew the whistle when they saw administrators forging the names on consent forms for patients who were unable to physically write. I believe six of the patients had been shuffled so many times that their families threatened to press charges for kidnapping/human trafficking. That has been over 20 years ago and I hope the practice was made illegal, but with the way things are run today, I'm not sure anything was ever changed.