• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The wrath of Rhule

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When I think about the best bosses I've ever had they all shared the same thing - at the end of the day they all truly cared about their people and despite the process you always knew that at the end of the day they were going to do the right thing for their people. Too many people forget that in today's corporate environment of constant "restructures" (a.k.a. waves of layoffs). It's why I bailed on the corporate world years ago and hope to god I never have to go back. If I do it'll just be for a temporary paycheck until I can find my way back out again. You take care of good people. They're more than numbers on a spreadsheet and mean more to you long-term than that short-term quarterly report that you're trying to make look better. Short-term bandaids create long-term problems.

Yep. It’s why I retired.  Too many sleepless nights of having to layoff great workers and their only sin was being a US resource 

I was told who was going and I had to do it or I would go as well. They didn’t care about the person, the client ratings, the skills, the need for those skills to grow the business    It physically, spiritually made me sick and mentally exhausted me 

I could not  even thank them...had to read a prepared script as if they were nothing 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not one to pile on but I do have to admit after reading this I wondered what his last conversation with Bridgewater was like.

I mean, there may be a reason why we've been so open about our desire to upgrade the QB position this off-season. That bridge may be in the background like

bridge.jpg

It's very unfair if we were shitty to Teddy. It's not his fault. We signed the guy expecting him to be something he's not. That's on us, not him. Move on, but don't be shitty about it.

It makes me wonder if Teddy trying to throw the staff under the bus after that Minnesota game wasn't spurred by numerous ass chewing where Teddy felt like he was being thrown under the bus and he was just tired of biting his tongue.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, there may be a reason why we've been so open about our desire to upgrade the QB position this off-season. That bridge may be in the background like

bridge.jpg

It's very unfair if we were shitty to Teddy. It's not his fault. We signed the guy expecting him to be something he's not. That's on us, not him. Move on, but don't be shitty about it.

Exactly 

Rhule acts like he walked into the office one day and was told this is his quarterback 

if he is as brilliant as he thinks he is, he should have seen Teddy on tape to know what he had before agreeing to bring him in.  

7 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Rhule acts like he walked into the office one day and was told this is his quarterback 

if he is as brilliant as he thinks he is, he should have seen Teddy on tape to know what he had before agreeing to bring him in.  

From the comments I read during the GM hiring process, I've come to  believe that's not really his thing.

Rhule officially has final say over the roster and he'll certainly have input into the personnel processes, but I get the impression that Fitterer is pretty much going to be king of that domain.

Maybe part of the reason Marty's not here is that Rhule realized he needed somebody who knew what they were doing over there.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

poo gets said in the heat of things but in all my years of management one thing I've learned is that you never outright threaten to fire someone out of emotion. People will move past it, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they don't forget it and they'll definitely remember it if/when another opportunity comes calling.

I’ll never forget sitting in a leadership meeting with other clinic leads and my CEO a few years ago. Medicare was making a bunch of changes and the CEO’s response to that was increasing our workload and laying clinicians go or cutting their hours without notice. He straight up said “some people will leave but everyone’s replaceable.”

I began a search for a different company the next day and had an interview within 2 weeks and took the job after a generous offer.

People absolutely remember what you speak in the heat of the moment. Especially when you’re in leadership.

Edited by WarHeel
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

In that vein, I'm reminded of Dick Vermeil.

Super nice guy but also set high standards and had high expectations.

I remember Jaws telling stories about Vermeil's practice.  Would be like 4 hours long and just brutal.  Faulk talking about a joint practice the Rams had with another team once and they finished the joint practice and the other team went back to their lockers and the Rams stayed out on the field and practiced for like another hour.

Everyone just things of Vermeil as the coach that cries about everything, but he was a very tough coach.

47 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That "I don't need you" attitude is what creates a revolving door of people jumping ship for greener pastures. If someone isn't getting it done, work on it or part ways with them. The "I'll fire your ass stuff" isn't effective. You're the guy's boss and you know that his job relies in part on you doing your job. The reality that you'll get fired for not performing is already fully implied. If you have to threaten that to get the best out of someone then they're not going to work out anyway.

As I said before. The NFL is a different business. Being in a high pressure situation is just apart of it. The door also revolves quite a bit anyway in the NFL/college. If you're good you're promoted pretty fast. If you suck you are not there long. A bit different than low rung workers doing just enough to get a. 50 raise every year. 

28 minutes ago, bababoey said:

I remember Jaws telling stories about Vermeil's practice.  Would be like 4 hours long and just brutal.  Faulk talking about a joint practice the Rams had with another team once and they finished the joint practice and the other team went back to their lockers and the Rams stayed out on the field and practiced for like another hour.

Everyone just things of Vermeil as the coach that cries about everything, but he was a very tough coach.

He held everyone including himself to very high standards. It's how you become successful.